Material standards for resource road bridges
Last updated: June 21, 2021
On this page:
Before constructing a bridge structure on a Forest Service Road, understand the standards, specifications and other requirements for design, fabrication, professional oversight and bridge material requirements in British Columbia.
Standards for lumber and treated wood materials:
- Bridge Timbers and Lumber Material Standard (PDF, 229KB)
- Pressure Treated Wood Standard for Timber Deck Bridge Components (PDF, 736KB)
- Process Specification for CCA Treatment of Coastal Douglas-fir Wood (PDF, 147KB)
Standards for concrete materials:
Standards for bridge identification and use of paint:
Bridge material requisitions must be consistent with the design. It is recommended that a regional field engineer be consulted when developing a bridge material requisition for a specific project.
The language in the requisition templates should be incorporated into:
- Government contracts where bridge material supply is included in the contracted works
- Requirements for bridges to be installed by Road Use Permit (RUP) holders on Forest Service Roads (FSR)
The design and quality assurance requirements for bridge material supply under direct requisition, or through a design, supply and construct contract, or by an RUP holder, are identical.
Bridge material requisitions should limit the design requirements to specific structural design. The required components for a structure should be fully determined, by the design engineer, before materials are acquired.
For example, the general arrangement design of slab girder bridges should specify:
- Whether the girders are connected
- Whether the connections are field grouted or welded shear connectors
- Girder connection details to the abutments
Requisitions should be specific to the bridge materials being ordered and reference the applicable Bridge Design and Construction Manual specifications and standard drawings. Only if bridge materials have had a unique design completed should other drawings be included in the bridge material specifications. In such cases, the attached drawings should be limited to the detail necessary for the bridge material fabricator to implement. Inclusion of general arrangement drawings, which require interpretation by the bridge material fabricator, is to be avoided.
Standard bridge material requisition templates are intended to be used primarily by field engineers, including the professional engineer responsible for the design or installation of a bridge structure.
The bridge material templates are living documents, so access and utilize the latest templates when ordering bridge materials or developing contracts with bridge material supply phases.
The following Microsoft Word documents should be viewed with "Hidden Text" turned on.
- All Steel Portable Bridge (DOCX, 74KB)
- All Timber Portable Bridge (DOCX, 65KB)
- Timber Deck Materials (DOCX, 61KB)
- Timber Deck on Steel Girders (DOCX, 62KB) - updated April 7, 2020
- Concrete Deck on Steel Girders (DOCX, 74KB) - updated April 7, 2020
- Concrete Slab Girders (DOCX, 80KB)
- HSS Guardrail Materials for Retrofit (DOCX, 80KB)
- Pedestrian Railing for Retrofit (DOCX, 904KB)