Bridge design and construction for resource roads
THIS SITE HAS BEEN REPLACED AND IS NO LONGER BEING MAINTAINED.
PLEASE USE NEW SITE: FLNRORD BRIDGE GUIDELINES, STANDARDS AND SPECIFICATIONS
Last updated: June 14, 2021
On this page:
- Bridge Design and Construction Manual and standard drawings
- Bridge material standards
- Resource road bridge related projects and studies
- FSR bridge guidance documents
The B.C. government is responsible for determining appropriate design and construction specifications for Forest Service road bridges. Relevant documents for the design, construction and inspection of provincial bridges and major culverts on resource roads are provided.
The Bridge Design and Construction Manual (BDCM) & Standard Drawings cover practices and procedures and standards for permanent and temporary structures on Forest Service Roads, and is accompanied by standard bridge design drawings.
Interim bridge design guidelines provided for direction and guidance:
NEW: June 2021 - A new ministry supplement to CSA S6, Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code (CHBDC) is being introduced. The content of the supplement shall take precedence over any other conflicting previous guidance. Further information on the ministry supplement can be found through this link:
Also, please note that the ministry BDCM will be replaced in the next few weeks with the Bridges Design and Construction Standards and Specifications (BDCSS) website. You will note references to the BDCSS appearing in ministry guidance and documentation. The new website will replace and capture ministry resource road bridge design standards and specifications and will be the new primary reference.
The provincial government has developed standard templates and other documents, to capture ministry bridge component material requirements, for use by those acquiring bridge materials for installation on Forest Service Roads or for other ministry projects.
Jul. to Sep. 2010: Experimental Evaluation of Guard Rail Systems for Bridges:
Mar. 2010 to Mar. 2011: Evaluation of Timber Deck Systems to Develop Rational Engineering Design and Analysis of Existing Systems:
- Phase 2 Final Report (PDF, 824KB)
- Phase 2 Presentation (PDF, 268KB)
- Phase 1 Final Report (PDF, 670KB)
- Phase 1 Presentation (PDF, 543KB)
Nov. 19, 2008: Design Checks for Timber Decks on Steel Girders (PDF, 3.7MB)
Guidelines and reports
Note: This is a working draft document for use. Feedback on this document can be submitted to: FLNREng.Branch@gov.bc.ca
Bridge timber preservative treatment
December 2016: Determination of rebar in reinforced precast concrete slab bridges – pilot project K1629
- Report: PPT Pilot Slab Bridge Rebar Determination K1629 (PDF, 2.3MB)
- Presentation: Final Report Rebar Determination K1629 (PDF, 1.6MB)
Bridge and road load limits reports and presentations
- Forest Bridge Capacity; A technical review of bridge load rating - September 2020 (PDF, 1.2MB)
- FSR Bridge Signage and "Road Load Rating" Concept FPI Presentation - Apr 21, 2016 (PDF, 1.8MB)
- Bridge Capacity Signage: Technical Review and Operational Discussion of "Road Load Rating" Concept - FPInnovations
- Logging Truck Target Vehicles - B&T April 9, 2012 (PDF, 211KB)
- Evaluation of Truck Configurations for Road Load Rating - SNT
Bridge design vehicle analysis
- Review of Development and Implementation of the New Design Vehicles for the Design of Bridges - Associated Engineering, June 19, 2009 (PDF, 6.3MB)
- Design Vehicle Configuration Analysis and CSA-S6-00 Implication Evaluation - Buckland & Taylor Ltd.
Protocols and procedures
Nov. 2015: Grout Compression Testing, Cubes vs. Cylinders
Mar. 12, 2002: Design and Installation of Embedded Culverts