Sea to Sky District Road Permitting Information


Only major licensees, as defined in section 115 (1) of the Forest Act, are eligible to apply for a road permit.

Application Requirements:

Licencees are directed to contact the district licensed authorizations officer at 604-898-2100 or for further details on the application process.


All industrial users on a forest service road (FSR) are required to obtain a Road Use Permit (RUP) unless an exemption is granted in accordance with section 22.1 (4) of  Forest & Range Practices Act (FRPA). Even if there is an existing RUP issued to another industrial user for the road, all industrial users of a FSR must have a RUP. Designation as a primary or secondary RUP holder will be defined through the application review process.

Forest service road use is a shared responsibility by industrial users. One user is assigned the title and responsibility of primary user or designated maintainer. Generally the designate is the predominant user of the road system over time. In taking on that responsibility, the designate agrees to negotiate with secondary users the appropriate amount for contribution toward maintenance. The contributions would be commensurate with the use and may be monetary or work related.

If the FSR is currently maintained to a wilderness level by the district manager then the applicant must submit a reactivation prescription (plan). The plan must be prepared by a qualified registered professional*. The plan must address all improvements required to reactivate the road to a safe industrial standard and an environmentally sound manner. This plan may become integral to the Road Use Permit.

*Qualified registered professionals are expected to know and meet the requirements of the Forest and Range Practices Act (FRPA) legislation for Road Maintenance Practices and Standards. The FRPA approach is focused on achieving defined and measurable results.

Please refer to Road Maintenance Standards FS1287a

Application Requirements:

For amendments to existing RUPs use same procedure above. Identify all branches in permit. State in email that application is an amendment.

FSR Road Use Permit Closure:


An industrial user may apply to the district manager to be relieved of its Road Use Permit on a FSR when that road will not be required for industrial purposes. Before the Road Use Permit of the designated maintainer is cancelled, ensure that the road has been maintained to the level required for non-industrial use, to the extent necessary to ensure there is no material adverse effect on a forest resource, as evidenced by :

  • structural integrity of the road prism and clearing width are protected; and drainage systems of the road are functional.


  • transferring the responsibility to another party as expressly authorized by the district manager*

Otherwise, the permit will remain in force even while the user is idle for periods of time, and any designated maintenance obligations remain during those same periods.

When your operations have been completed and you wish to be relieved of further obligations you are required to make a request in writing to the district manager to have your RUP terminated. Before removing equipment from the area serviced by this permit please contact the Sea to Sky Natural Resource District Engineering Group at 604-898-2100 to ascertain the level of maintenance required for the roads outlined in your Schedule A.

To assist the district manager in making a decision on an application for relief of RUP obligations, please complete and return the Statement of General Conformance RUP – Road Use Permit Closure Request form with a map and application letter. Conformance letters must be prepared, signed and sealed by an appropriate registered professional. See below for mapping standards

*Note: Road Use Permits are NOT transferable from one company to another nor from a parent company to a subsidiary company. Each company requesting a Road Use Permit must apply as outlined above. If more than one subsidiary of a parent company will be using the road, then each subsidiary company must submit an application.

Application Requirements:

To apply to be relieved of RUP obligations, contact the district office at with details of your RUP agreement and details why you want to close the permit.


For situations where the wilderness level of maintenance is not sufficient for a commercial or public user, the user may elect to undertake some or all of the surface maintenance (grading, brushing, etc. required for providing motor vehicle access) of a FSR as authorized by the FSR Maintenance Agreement. Examples may include to access: recreation opportunities, utility company structures, commercial operations, or access to private property.

Application Requirements:


This is for situations where using an FSR is required for non-industrial short term use. Example: road use for film industry or for a community special event.

Application Requirements:

The applicant must prepare the following application a minimum of 30 business days prior to the proposed event:

  • Application form
  • Description of the special event/ activity
  • Traffic control management plan that includes details of the proposed road closures and/or road delays, dates and times as well as details of flagging personnel, use of cones and signage
  • Location map of proposed land use, including FSR with kilometer markers indicating portion of road to be used, as well as adjacent area(s)
  • Certificate of Insurance - minimum $2 million liability insurance. Sample certificate here, although other documentation from an insurance provider may be accepted.

Once the application is reviewed, the applicant will be responsible to:

  • Contact designated maintainer (primary Road Use Permit holder) for confirmation of correct radio channels and local protocols.
  • Contact all road users named in the list of Road Use Permit holders and inform them of the intended activities, and as required modify activity schedules to ensure the least amount of disruption to other road users.
  • Follow radio use practices on resource roads in BC as described in the Best Management Practices for Mobile 2-way radio use on resource roads in BC, installation and maintenance
  • Comply with the Traffic Control Standards of the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure for the full duration of the road use, as detailed at the following site: Traffic Management for Work on Roadways

Upon the district manager's satisfaction that there are no outstanding obligations associated with the TRUA, the authorization will terminate.

Email completed application package to:



Any non-transportation-related works (infrastructure / facilities) constructed within a FSR right-of-way MUST be authorized by a Works Permit. Due to the varied nature of works covered by a Works Permit, contact the district engineering officer to discuss next steps prior to submitting a formal application. Provincial design and conformance standards for various infrastructure installations (buried power, penstock, pipeline, overhead cables, etc.) are available.

Application Requirements:

  • Contact district engineering officer (see "Contact Information" on the top right) with the following general information:
    • Identify FSR name, number and branch
    • State permittee name and address
    • State nature of work
    • State duration of permit - start date and completion date
    • Complete location map (see below for mapping standards)


To connect a road to an FSR section 23 of Forest & Range Practices Act (FRPA) requires a Junction Permit. Industrial use scenarios are covered by the Road Permit document issued with a licence of occupation. The district manager authorizes any connection to an FSR using a Road Junction Requirements Form Letter (FS 1209).

Requests from landowners for variance from the established alignment conditions must be accompanied by a Professional Engineer‘s recommendation.

Application Requirements:


Location Map Standards

  • Date of application
  • Use iMapBC, Geomark Web Service or similar mapping software
  • Identify scale used; generally: 1:10,000, 1:20,000, 1:30,000, 1:50,000, 1:100,000
  • Show POC (point of commencement) and POT (point of termination) for each section of application (KM)
  • Identify FSR name, number and branch
  • Place North arrow

Location Map Example:

Location Map Standards Example