Fort Nelson District Road Permitting Information

Road Permit may be issued by the District Manager for roads that are built, used, and maintained by forest industry who possess a valid timber licence or tenure.  Such roads usually connect cutblocks and tie harvesting areas to FSRs, public highways or log dumps, but may also include on-block roads that are built before a Cutting Permit is issued. Other industrial users are expected to contribute a reasonable amount to the expense of maintaining the road.

Contact the Fort Nelson Natural Resource District: Engineering Staff for more information on the application process and information requirements

Application: FS581: Road Permit Application

All industrial users on a forest service road (FSR) are required to obtain a Road Use Permit unless an exemption is granted in accordance with section 22.1 (4) of FRPA.

If the FSR is currently maintained to a wilderness level by the district manager or timber sales manager then the applicant must submit a reactivation prescription (plan). The plan must be prepared by a qualified registered professional*. The plan must address all improvements required to reactivate the road to a safe industrial standard and an environmentally sound manner. This plan may become integral to the Road Use Permit.

On occasion, the designated maintainer may want to carry out road improvements or make changes to the FSR. The administrative vehicle for accomplishing this is the Road Use Permit (RUP). In this regard, an RUP holder may make application to the district manager with a proposal to carry out road related improvements/works to an FSR, and the district manager will work with the permittee in reviewing and approving plans, similar to the process used for approval of major structure and bridge works on an FSR. The ministry will designate the user responsible for maintenance (designated maintainer).

All industrial users are required by legislation to notify the user responsible for maintenance (as determined by the district manager) and contribute to the cost of maintenance. Entering into an agreement is not a condition of receiving a road use permit. Any disputes between road users for maintenance can be resolved by a third party or through a more formal process, such as the Commercial Arbitration Act. The district manager is no longer named in legislation as being responsible for resolving road maintenance disputes, though the district manager may still provide that service in individual cases, if all parties agree.

*Qualified registered professionals are expected to know and meet the requirements of the Forest and Range Practices Act (FRPA) legislation for Road Maintenance Practices and Standards. The FRPA approach is focused on achieving defined and measurable results. 

Please refer to the Road Maintenance Standards FS1287a.

Requirements for application:

For amendments to existing RUPs, please use the same procedure as above. Identify branch additions on Schedule A of the application form.  Please state in the email that the application is an amendment.

FSR Road Use Permit Closure:

Industrial users may apply to the district manager to be relieved of its RUP on an FSR when that road will not be required for industrial purposes. Before the RUP of the designated maintainer is cancelled, ensure that the road has been maintained to the level required for non-industrial use, to the extent necessary to ensure there is no material adverse effect on a forest resource, as evidenced by:

  • The structural integrity of the road prism and clearing width are protected and drainage systems of the road are functional;


  • by transferring the responsibility to another active party

Otherwise, the permit will remain in force even while the user is idle for periods of time, and any designated maintenance remain legal obligations during those same periods.

When your operations have been completed and you wish to be relieved of further obligations you are required to make a request in writing to the District Manager to have your RUP terminated. Before removing equipment from the area serviced by this permit please contact the Fort Nelson Natural Resource District Engineering Staff to ascertain the level of maintenance required for the roads outlined in your Schedule A.

To assist the district manager in making a decision on an application for relief of RUP obligations, please complete and return the FS1365 form - QRP Statement of Road Deactivation Conformance with a map and application letter. Conformance letters must be prepared, signed and sealed by an appropriate registered professional.  See below for mapping standards

Contact the Fort Nelson Natural Resource District: Engineering Staff for more information on the application process and information requirements.

FS998A Special Use Permit may be issued by a District Manager for the construction and maintenance of a road for non-forest use, including construction and maintenance of bridges and other drainage structures for non-forest use. Currently, these roads are normally restricted to mining operations outside a claim area, but other resource uses can be contemplated where another agency is not in a position to issue tenure over the road.

Contact the Fort Nelson Natural Resource District: Engineering Staff for more information on the application process and information requirements.

To connect a road to an FSR section 23 of the Forest and Range Practices Act (FRPA) requirement is to obtain a “junction permit” from the district manager. Industrial use scenarios are covered off by the Road Permit document. a complete application/request must be received:

  1. Application submission criteria and considerations, consistent with FS 1209 content:

    Map (plan) of appropriate scale and scope illustrating:
  • Location
  • Description of sight-line distance
  • Brushing requirements
  • Appropriate warning signage
  • Cross drain culvert (if necessary)
  • Curves/corners
  • Grades
  • GPS location/ coordinates
  • Design speed (based on sightlines should be posted on the section of road (anything less than 80 km/hr or the posted speed of the road)
  • Signage informing users of the connecting road (T-Junction)
  • Stop sign may be required in some situations
  • Gradient, if in excess of 2%
  • Culvert may be required to address drainage concerns.
  • If so, culvert size and justification if less than 500mm.
  • Justification if culvert is not required.
  • In some cases, the FSR itself may require the cross-drain culvert as a result of the junction.
  1. Angle of junction and justification if unable to achieve right angle. Gate location on access road (if applicable) - is it within or outside the FSR R/W?
  2. Duration of use (e.g., Is this a temporary access road) If so, include rehabilitation and deactivation plans).

Note: Requests from landowners for variance from the established alignment conditions must be accompanied by a professional engineer‘s recommendation.

Contact the Fort Nelson Natural Resource District: Engineering Staff for more information on the application process and information requirements.

The following are information requirements for situations where using an FSR is required for non-industrial short term use.

Example: road use for film industry.

The permit holder must:

  • Comply with the Traffic Control Standards of the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure for the full duration of the road use, as detailed at the following site: Traffic Management for Work on Roadways
  • Contact all road users named in the list of Road Use Permit holders and inform them of the intended activities, and as required modify activity schedules to ensure the least amount of disruption to other road users.
  • Follow radio use practices on resource roads in BC as described in the Best Management Practices for Mobile 2-way radio use on resource roads in BC, installation and maintenance, and
  • Contact designated maintainer for confirmation of correct radio channels and local protocols.

Upon the district manager satisfaction that there are no outstanding obligations associated with the TRUA, the authorization will terminate.

Contact the Fort Nelson Natural Resource District: Engineering Staff for more information on the application process and information requirements.

For a non-industrial user to carry out maintenance works on an FSR. For situations where the wilderness level of maintenance is not sufficient for a commercial or public user, the user may elect to undertake some or all of the surface maintenance (grading, brushing, etc., required for providing motor vehicle access) of the FSR as authorized by the FSR Maintenance Agreement. 

Examples may include: recreation opportunities, utility companies, commercial operations, or for access to private property.

The Maintenance Agreement is a standard document that can authorize such a user to conduct road maintenance activities on an FSR. The agreement is signed by both parties, the contractor, who must be a legal entity (an individual, company, society etc.), and the district manager, on behalf of the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development.

Contact the Fort Nelson Natural Resource District: Engineering Staff for more information on the application process and information requirements.

A person must not erect a traffic control device on an FSR without the prior written consent of the district manager in whose district the road is situated.

Include a detailed rationale for the purpose of the restriction and the company/organization’s access control policy. This rationale will help determine whether or not the district manager authorizes the request. 

Applications without a rationale will not be accepted. The detailed rationale for the access restriction must include reasons for the authorization request and why other means of traffic control are not sufficient.

Upon installation, a Statement of General Conformance Form must be completed and submitted to the district manager. Photos of the structure, signage and approach from various angles (digital format) must also be submitted.

After completion of operations, the structure and all signage, other obstructions, railings, barriers created as a result of the Works must be removed. Any “excavated materials” must be replaced to its original state.

Upon removal of structure a Statement of General Conformance Form must be submitted to the district manager for approval.

Contact the Fort Nelson Natural Resource District: Engineering Staff for more information on the application process and information requirements.

Written authorization must be given by the District Manager under Section 22.2(3) of the Forest and Range Practices Act for temporary closures of FSRs.

  • Road closures are limited to weekdays only, Monday to Friday with daily schedule of closures noted below. The FSR is to remain open all weekends and statutory holidays. Any changes to this schedule must be pre-authorized through the Fort Nelson Natural Resource District office and approved by the district manager.
    • Example of closure schedule:

Road Closure Start Time: 7:00 a.m.
1st Road Opening: 8:00 a.m.
2nd Road Opening: 10:00 a.m.
3rd Road Opening: 12:00 p.m.
4th Road Opening: 2:00 p.m.
Road Closure End Time: 4:30 p.m.

  • Road closure signs must be erected at the start of the FSR (0.0km) notifying road users of the closure days and the daily closure schedule.
  • Signage must include a contact number and email accessible on a timely basis where persons may inquire for more information or questions.
  • Traffic control must be in place for all operations during working hours.
  • The above schedule and information will be posted to the district website.
  • Contact number and email address will be posted to the district website similar to the information required for the signs placed.

You are obliged to make contact with the designated maintainer and all active RUP holders, inform them of your activities and proposed schedule and reach agreement as to an appropriate work schedule and sharing of the road maintenance costs or activities.

Contact the Fort Nelson Natural Resource District: Engineering Staff for more information on the application process and information requirements.


Location Map Standards

  • Date of application
  • Use Mapview or IMAP (use BCGW base information - pdf format).
  • Identify scale used.
  • Use Scale most appropriate: 1:10,000, 1:20,000, 1:30,000, 1:50,000
  • Show POC (point of commencement) and POT (point of termination) for each section of application (KM).
  • Identify FSR name, number and branch.
  • Place North arrow.

Location Map Example:

Location Map Standards Example