District Roads - Permitting Requirements

Different permits are required for different activities on Forest Service Roads (FSRs) and Resource Roads. The information below outlines what these permits are used for, followed by a list of district-specific instructions to help with filling out the applications and other documents. For additional details on these permits and other engineering topics, refer to the Engineering Manual.

To learn which district the road in question is a part of, review the map in the side bar and corresponding contact information.

Road Permit

A road permit is needed to construct, use and maintain a forest road if the access is not a forest service road or under another tenure.

Road Use Permit

All industrial users of FSRs require a road use permit, or an exemption, issued by the district manager.

Works Permit

Any non-transportation-related works (facilities) constructed within an FSR right-of-way must be authorized by a Works Permit. The Works Permit does not authorize road works or the harvesting of timber, nor does it convey tenure to any part of the right-of-way other than to permit the facilities to remain in place.

Examples include gas, hydro, or telephone line works.

Junction Permit

When connecting a road to an FSR, section 23 of the Forest and Range Practices Act (FRPA) requires a junction permit to be acquired from the district manager.

Temporary Road Use Agreement

This is for situations where using an FSR is required for non-industrial short-term use. 

Example: road use for film industry.

Maintenance Agreements

For situations where the wilderness level of maintenance is not sufficient for a commercial or public user, that user may elect to undertake some or all of the surface maintenance of the FSR as authorized under a Forest Service Road Maintenance Agreement. The agreement authorizes the end user to carry out incremental maintenance on FSRs at no cost to the ministry. The works envisioned under this agreement are routine in nature. 

Permit Information by District

Each district operates differently so please review the information specific for each district below.  If the district you are interested in is not listed, please contact them directly using their contact information