Archaeology Guides & Templates
This page contains the current catalogue of archaeological guides, templates, forms and agreements prepared by, or for, the ministry responsible for archaeology.
Our Bulletins and Policies web pages also provide more information and direction on archaeology in B.C.:
The B.C. government has entered into agreements with First Nations and other provincial agencies. These agreements clarify responsibilities of each group and, in the case of First Nations, provide a more formal role in archaeological resource management.
- Heritage Conservation Memorandum of Understanding with Treaty 8 First Nations (PDF)
The Heritage Conservation MOU highlights the importance of heritage protection and conservation during development projects and resource extraction. It establishes processes to effectively share information between the Province and Treaty 8 First Nations and enables the participation of Treaty 8 First Nations in heritage conservation.
- Memorandum of Agreement on Trails with the Ministry of Forests (PDF)
The Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development may issue site alteration permits related to forestry activity in the vicinity of protected heritage trails. The MOU details the circumstances where this authority may be exercised.
- Protocol Agreement with the BC Oil & Gas Commission (PDF)
The Oil and Gas Commission is authorized to issue site alteration permits under the Oil and Gas Commission Act. The primary purpose of this agreement is to harmonize the processes of the Archaeology Branch and Oil and Gas Commission where impact assessment work is permitted by the Archaeology Branch but site alteration decisions for the same project are made by the Oil and Gas Commission.
- Protocol Agreement with the Ministry of Forests (PDF, 21.8MB)
This agreement synchronizes forestry planning processes with recommended archaeological resource management steps. The protocol was developed with the Forest Practices Code in mind but this has been largely superseded by the Forest and Range Practices Act.
- Memorandum of Understanding with the Hul'qumi'num Treaty Group (PDF)
The Hul'qumi'num Treaty Group MOU is the result of three years of relationship-building allowing us to develop areas of common interest such as public education, archaeological planning process, interactions with local governments and the Hul'qumi'num Treaty Group role in the archaeological resource management process.
Archaeological Impact Assessment Guide
Archaeological Overview Assessment Guide
Archaeological Resource Management Guide
Culturally Modified Tree Guides
- Culturally Modified Trees Handbook (PDF, 8.7MB)
- The Significance and Management of Culturally Modified Trees (PDF)
- Sampling Culturally Modified Trees (PDF)
- Archaeological Resource Management Handbook for Foresters (PDF)
- Best Practices for Recording Results of Non-permitted Preliminary Field Reconnaissance (PFR) Studies (PDF)
Local Government Guides
- Archaeological Resource Management Handbook for Local Governments (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Suggested Wording for Official Community Plan Sections on Archaeology (PDF)
- Archaeological Overview Assessments as General Land Use Planning Tools (PDF)
- Local Government Notification Letter (PDF)
Property Owner Guides
- Shipwreck Recording Guide (PDF, 20.6MB)
- Basic Shipwreck Recording Form (PDF)
- Detailed Shipwreck Recording Form (PDF)
Site Inventory Form & Mapping Guides
- Archaeological Site Inventory Form (DOCX)
- Archaeological Site Inventory Form Guide (PDF, 3MB)
- Archaeological Site Inventory Form Technical FAQ (PDF)
- Defining Archaeological Site Boundaries & Protection Status (PDF)
- Mapping and Shapefile Requirements (PDF, 2.6MB)
- Photo Template (DOCX)
- Subsurface Test Log (DOCX)
Permit Guides, Templates & Tracking
- HCA Permitting Process Policy Guide (PDF, 1.79MB)
- Permit Application Client Certification (PDF)
- Permit Amendments - Summary Guide (PDF)
Heritage Inspection Permit Template
- Heritage Inspection Permit Application (DOCX) - Updated Feb 20, 2020
Heritage Investigation Permit Template
Site Alteration Permit Templates
- Alteration Permit Application (DOCX) - Updated February 6, 2020
- Alteration Permit Template with RPF - Culturally Modified Tree Sites (DOCX) - Updated February 6, 2020
Oil & Gas Project Permit Template
- Oil and Gas Commission Application Template (DOCX) - Updated January 16, 2020
Please note that the Archaeology Permit Tracking System (APTS) is generally only accessed by permit holders, and to gain access to APTS, an Archaeological Information Sharing Agreement must be signed and submitted to the branch.
- Apply for APTS access by submitting an Archaeological Information Sharing Agreement (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Download our guide and learn How to Complete & Submit an HCA Application using APTS (PDF, 52KB)
- Access and bookmark the Archaeological Permit Tracking System (APTS) web application