Becoming a Client: Mineral & Placer Titles

To become a client and have the ability to acquire and maintain mineral and placer titles using Mineral Titles Online (MTO), you need to obtain:

1. Business BCeID (British Columbia Electronic Identification): this can be obtained from the BCeID website:

2. Free Miner Certificate (FMC): fill out the appropriate FMC registration form

  • Fee for Individuals: $25.00  (FREE for Seniors 65 years or older)
  • Fee for Companies: $500.00
  • Fee for Partnership: $25.00 (individuals); $500.00 (corporate)

You need to visit one of the Point of Service Offices (ServiceBC, FrontCounterBC, or Mineral Titles Branch Office) that will be listed for you at the end of the BCeID enrolment.  You will be ID-proofed for your BCeID, and can submit your FMC application and fee.

All cheques and money orders for recording fees are made payable to the "Minister of Finance".

A Free Miner Certificate (FMC) gives you the right to:

  • acquire and maintain mineral and placer title;
  • access your title during exploration and development.

A FMC does not authorize you:

  • to use a FMC for purposes other than activities directly related to mineral or placer exploration and mining;
  • to use your title for residential or recreational purposes;
  • to place any structure (cabin, greenhouse, garbage) on your title;
  • to conduct any mining activity (exploration, road building) without approval from a Regional Mines Office;
  • to hunt, fish or acquire or carry a firearm.

About Free Miner Certificate (FMC)

“Person” here means an individual, a corporation, or a partnership.  A valid free miner certificate (FMC) is required by a person at the time they acquire interest in a mineral title, whether by registering a new cell claim or lease, or by purchasing all or partial interest in an existing claim or lease from another titleholder.  A valid FMC is also required by the recorded holder of a mineral or placer claim at the time that exploration and development work or a payment instead of work is registered on that claim.  If there are two or more recorded holders of a claim, all holders must hold a valid FMC when work or a payment is registered.  These requirements are the same as they were prior to MTO.

To qualify for an individual FMC, an individual must be at least 18 years old, and ordinarily be a resident of Canada for no less than 183 days in each calendar year.  A non-resident who is authorized by the federal government to work in Canada may also acquire a FMC.  Canadian citizens, regardless of their place of residence, are, by virtue of citizenship, authorized to work in Canada and may thus acquire a FMC.

To acquire a corporate FMC, a company must be registered under the Business Corporations Act (provincially or extra-provincially), Financial Institutions Act or Insurance Act of British Columbia, or it must be a Chartered Bank.

A partnership may be comprised of individuals and/or corporations who qualify as above, and the partnership must be registered under the Partnership Act of BC.

Further information about FMCs is available on our Frequently Asked Questions, and instruction on how to maintain your FMC are available from the MTO Help Guide.

Renew Free Miner Certificate (FMC)

A FMC is valid for a period of 12 months from the date of issuance.  FMCs can only be renewed online by clients using Mineral Titles Online.  Instructions on renewing you FMC are available from the MTO Help Guide.