The Sullivan Incident
May 25, 2006: Sullivan Mine Incident
British Columbia's Chief Inspector of Mines issues a Directive and a Hazard Alert of May 25, 2006 as a result of the investigation into the incident at the closed Sullivan Mine.
- Chief Inspector's Directive, May 25, 2006 (PDF, 19KB)
- Chief Inspector's Hazard Alert, May 25, 2006 (PDF, 16KB)
The Chief Inspector of Mines concluded that the tragic circumstances that led to four fatalities at a water sampling shed at the decommissioned Sullivan mine on May 15-17, 2006 were unprecedented and that the incident was caused by an oxygen-deficient atmosphere.
- News Release and Backgrounder (PDF, 57KB)
- MEMPR Sullivan Mine Accident Report (PDF, 522KB)
- Chief Inspector of Mines Report (PDF, 12MB)
- Sampling Shed Diagram (PDF, 213KB)
- Teck Cominco Report (PDF, 21.7MB)
BC Ambulance Service Report
- Sullivan Mine Incident 001 (PDF, 3.3MB)
- Sullivan Mine Incident 041 (PDF, 2.8MB)
- Sullivan Mine Incident 138 (PDF, 5.5MB)
- Sullivan Mine Incident 358 (PDF, 2.51MB)