Tree Improvement Program Call for Proposals
The Operational Tree Improvement Program focuses on increasing the quality and quantity of Class A or Select Seed produced from existing forest-company and Provincial orchards. It also provides technical support for developing operational efficiencies and protocols to improve orchard production and management, including pest management.
Funding is made available through an annual call-for-proposals that is issued in November. The program specifically focuses on opportunities for creating material of improved genetic quality, such as
- Cone induction activities
- Production of custom seed lots (for example, controlled crosses, pollen collections)
- Enhancing genetic quality of orchards through roguing
- Operational pest management activities related to crop survival
- Technical support for improved seed production
- Activities that focus on improving seed delivery in lodgepole pine
- Operational testing or implementation of new knowledge
- Operational scale development of new technologies.