Industrial Electricity Policy Review
In response to the B.C. Utilities Commission (BCUC) hearings on the Dawson Creek-Chetwynd Area Transmission (DCAT) Project, as well as some other outstanding industrial electricity policy issues, the B.C. government committed to launching a public process that would address the policy issues that had been raised.
Task Force Beginnings
The Industrial Electricity Policy Review (IEPR) was announced on January 13, 2013, and a task force was appointed to review the industrial electricity policy and regulatory framework. The task force consisted of Chris Trumpy, Peter Ostergaard and Tim Newton, selected for their knowledge and experience in policy development, utility regulation and electric utility operations.
The task force completed multiple rounds of in-person and written consultation during its tenure, completing its final review on October 31, 2013. Input from the task force review was incorporated into BC Hydro's 10 Year Plan.
In January 2016, the BCUC conducted a streamlined review of a freshet rate pilot for industrial customers, consistent with task force recommendations, and approved the rate in February, 2016.
Browse the IEPR-related documents below.
- Ministry Discussion Paper: The Evolution of B.C.'s Industrial Electricity Policy (PDF, 404KB))
- Task Force Issue Paper: BCUC Stepped Rate Report Recommendations (PDF, 239KB)
- Task Force Issue Paper: Economic Development (PDF, 259KB)
- Task Force Issue Paper: End Use Rates (PDF, 244KB)
- Task Force Issue Paper: Generation Contribution Policy (PDF, 199KB)
- Task Force Issue Paper: Postage Stamp Rates (PDF, 192KB)
- Task Force Issue Paper: Regulatory Approach for BC Hydro (PDF, 271KB)
- Task Force Issue Paper: Retail Access (PDF, 199KB)
- Task Force Issue Paper: Transmission Contribution Policy (PDF 250KB)
- Task Force Issue Paper: Environmental Policy (PDF, 253KB)
- Task Force Issue Paper: Large Load Interconnection (PDF, 248KB)
- Task Force Issue Paper: Retail Access Programs by Jurisdiction (PDF, 199KB)
- Task Force Issue Paper: Role of Government (PDF, 270KB)
- Task Force Issue Paper: Time of Use Rates (PDF, 252KB)
- Association of Major Power Consumers (PDF, 3.3MB)
- BC Hydro (PDF, 198KB)
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (PDF, 94KB)
- Catalyst Paper (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Clean Energy BC (PDF, 254KB)
- Fortis BC (PDF, 156KB)
- Morgan Stanley (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Pacific Northwest LNG (PDF, 1.7MB)
- BC Sustainable Energy Association (PDF, 149KB)
- Commercial Energy Consumers Association of BC (PDF, 202KB)
- West Fraser (PDF, 476KB)