British Columbia Building Code 2018 - Public Review of Proposed Changes
June 28, 2019 - August 9, 2019
Description: The Building and Safety Standards Branch invites code users, industry, and partners to participate in a public review to provide feedback on proposed changes to the BC Code.
- Proposed changes: please review the topics that interest you from the list below. These documents are also available in the online survey.
- Online survey: click here to complete the survey for the proposed mid-cycle changes to the BC Code. You can choose which parts of the survey you complete and respond to questions over time. Your answers can be saved until you submit your final feedback.
BC Building Code
- Design and Construction of Secondary Suites (PDF)
- Energy Step Code for Large Buildings in Cold Climates and Public Sector Buildings (PDF)
- Lighting of Recycling and Garbage Rooms (PDF)
The Building and Safety Standards Branch is also considering possible amendments to the Energy Step Code targets for houses and small residential buildings, with a focus on climate zones 5 and 6 (including Kelowna, Kamloops, and Prince George). These possible changes are still in development and will not be part of this public review. Information will be available on the Energy Step Code website, as this work progresses. For information about possible Energy Step Code amendments for houses and small residential buildings, please email Building.Safety@gov.bc.ca.
In addition to the above noted changes, the proposed mid-cycle changes will include recent national revisions as well as some editorial corrections. For information about revisions to the National Code, please visit Codes Canada’s website.
Please monitor our website for updates, additional proposed changes, and information about confirmed changes.
British Columbia Codes 2018 - Public Review of Proposed Changes
December 12, 2017 - February 28, 2018 | Review Now Closed
Description: The Building and Safety Standards Branch conducted a public review to seek feedback on the following proposed changes for the next edition of the BC Codes. Code users and stakeholders will be notified when the code is adopted and the effective date has been confirmed.
BC Building Code
- Accessibility (PDF)
Appendix 1 - Track Changes (PDF)
Appendix 2 - Where to Find BC Specific Provisions by Code Reference (PDF)
- Area Calculation of Exposing Building Face (PDF)
- Asbestos (PDF)
- Energy Efficiency Standards (PDF)
- Exit Signs (PDF)
- Factory-Constructed Buildings (PDF)
- Fenestration (PDF)
- Heritage Buildings (PDF)
- Mid-Rise Combustible Construction (PDF)
- Outdoor Design Conditions and Air Cleaning (PDF)
- Radon (PDF)
- Stairs - Dimensions of Tapered Treads (PDF)
- Stairs - Handrails in Curved Stairs (PDF)
- Stairs - No Spiral Stairs (PDF)
Doors, Windows and Skylights Public Review
June 4 – 25, 2015 | Review Now Closed
Description: The 2012 BC Building Code introduced new requirements for manufactured and pre-assembled fenestration products - meaning doors, windows and skylights. In consultation with the fenestration industry and local governments, the Province proposed changes due to some key implementation issues. The consultation asked for feedback on the proposed changes.
Summary of Results: Revision #8 made to the 2012 BC Building Code effective December 11, 2015
The content on this page is periodically updated by the Province of British Columbia per the date noted on the page: June 28, 2019.