British Columbia Building Code 2018 - Public Review of Proposed Changes
June 28, 2019 - August 23, 2019 | Review Now Closed
Description: The Building and Safety Standards Branch invites code users, industry, and partners to participate in a public review to provide feedback on proposed changes to the BC Code.
BC Building Code
- Design and Construction of Secondary Suites (PDF)
- BC Energy Step Code for Large Buildings in Cold Climates and Public Sector Buildings (PDF)
Visit www.energystepcode.ca/news for information about the final BCBC 2018 Revision 2 changes for these buildings
- Lighting of Recycling and Garbage Rooms (PDF)
- New - Carbon Monoxide Detectors and Alarms (PDF)
- New - Roof-top Enclosures and Roof-top Occupancy (PDF)
The Building and Safety Standards Branch also considered possible amendments to the BC Energy Step Code targets for houses and small residential buildings, with a focus on climate zones 5 and 6 (including Kelowna, Kamloops, and Prince George). These possible changes were still in development at the time of the public review, and so did not form part of it.
- Visit www.energystepcode.ca/news for information about the final BCBC 2018 Revision 2 changes for houses and small residential buildings
In addition to the above noted changes, the proposed mid-cycle changes will include recent national revisions as well as some editorial corrections. For information about revisions to the National Code, please visit Codes Canada’s website.
Please monitor our website for updates, additional proposed changes, and information about confirmed changes.
British Columbia Codes 2018 - Public Review of Proposed Changes
December 12, 2017 - February 28, 2018 | Review Now Closed
Description: The Building and Safety Standards Branch conducted a public review to seek feedback on the following proposed changes for the next edition of the BC Codes. Code users and stakeholders will be notified when the code is adopted and the effective date has been confirmed.
BC Building Code
- Accessibility (PDF)
Appendix 1 - Track Changes (PDF)
Appendix 2 - Where to Find BC Specific Provisions by Code Reference (PDF)
- Area Calculation of Exposing Building Face (PDF)
- Asbestos (PDF)
- Energy Efficiency Standards (PDF)
- Exit Signs (PDF)
- Factory-Constructed Buildings (PDF)
- Fenestration (PDF)
- Heritage Buildings (PDF)
- Mid-Rise Combustible Construction (PDF)
- Outdoor Design Conditions and Air Cleaning (PDF)
- Radon (PDF)
- Stairs - Dimensions of Tapered Treads (PDF)
- Stairs - Handrails in Curved Stairs (PDF)
- Stairs - No Spiral Stairs (PDF)
Doors, Windows and Skylights Public Review
June 4 – 25, 2015 | Review Now Closed
Description: The 2012 BC Building Code introduced new requirements for manufactured and pre-assembled fenestration products - meaning doors, windows and skylights. In consultation with the fenestration industry and local governments, the Province proposed changes due to some key implementation issues. The consultation asked for feedback on the proposed changes.
Summary of Results: Revision #8 made to the 2012 BC Building Code effective December 11, 2015
The content on this page is periodically updated by the Province of British Columbia per the date noted on the page: November 7, 2019.