B.C. Agrifood & Seafood Market Development Preparedness Program
The B.C. Agrifood and Seafood Market Development Preparedness Program supports businesses and associations to conduct market research and planning activities necessary to take advantage of new market opportunities. The program also aims to enhance competitiveness by supporting participation in marketing skills training courses.
Eligible applicants can receive up to 75% of the eligible project costs (up to the maximum amount specified in the table below). Participants can apply for one or more eligible program activities, up to a maximum of $50,000 for all activities to each participant over the life of the program.
This program is now closed to new applications as all funding has been committed. New market development programming will be launched in spring/summer 2018 under the Canadian Agriculture Partnership federal, provincial, territorial funding agreement.
- Primary Market Research: Contracting pre-qualified market research consultants to:
- conduct primary research and develop market intelligence studies to help applicants better understand the competitive environment and potential growth opportunities in domestic or international markets; and/or,
- conduct primary research and develop feasibility studies related to the introduction of new products into domestic or international markets.
- Secondary Market Research: Purchasing existing market information and/or market intelligence studies on domestic or international markets from a qualified market research firm to help applicants better understand the competitive environment and potential growth opportunities within these markets.
Strategic Market Development Planning
- Contracting pre-qualified strategic planning consultants to develop long-term strategic marketing plans for domestic and/or international markets.
Marketing Skills Training
- Completing eligible marketing skills training courses at qualified educational institutions.
Maximum Program Contribution
Market Research - Primary
Fees paid to a pre-qualified consultant to complete primary research activities.
|Market Research - Secondary||$30,000||Fees paid to a qualified market research provider to purchase existing market information or market analysis studies.|
|Strategic Market Development Planning||$30,000||Fees paid to a pre-qualified consultant to complete a long-term strategic market development plan for domestic and/or international markets.|
|Marketing Skills Training||$3,000||Fees paid to qualified educational institutions to register for eligible marketing skills training courses.|
- B.C. agrifood and seafood processors and exporters
- B.C. agrifood and seafood industry associations/ organizations (Please note: fishers (harvesters) are not eligible for funding under this program)
- B.C. agrifood primary producers
- Non-timber forest resource harvesters and wild crafters
Applicant organizations must have a head office in B.C. or be registered in B.C., and market products grown or processed* in B.C.
* B.C. processed food is any food, seafood or beverage product processed and packaged in B.C. with more than 85% of the product's main ingredients produced in B.C. In cases where the main ingredients are not available in B.C. in sufficient quantities, the food must be processed and packaged entirely in B.C.
- Confirm eligibility and select an activity
- Engage a pre-qualified contractor, identify a secondary market research provider and/or select an eligible marketing skills training course
- Complete and submit an application form using the application guide.
- Application review and notification
- Approval received
- Complete the activity
- Submit a claim for reimbursement
- View application guide (PDF)
- Primary Market Research (PDF)
- Secondary Market Research (PDF)
- Strategic Market Development Planning (PDF)
- Marketing Skills Training (PDF)
- List of pre-qualified primary market research consultants (PDF)
- List of pre-qualified strategic market development planning consultants (PDF)
Pre-approved marketing skills training courses