Hazelnut Renewal Program
IMPORTANT UPDATE: The application deadline for the spring planting is November 15, 2018. In addition, the minimum eligible acreage for planting new orchards has been reduced to one acre.
The Hazelnut Renewal Program provides funding to remove infected trees to mitigate the spread of Eastern Filbert Blight and to incentivize the planting of new disease-resistant hazelnut trees in British Columbia.
Types of Program Funding
- Hazelnut Renewal: Funding to incentivize the planting of new Eastern Filbert Blight (EFB) resistant hazelnut trees in British Columbia.
- Removal of EFB Infected Hazelnut Trees: Funding to remove infected trees to mitigate the spread of EFB and protect new orchards.
For the purposes of this program, eligible hazelnut trees are defined as hazelnut varieties released by the Oregon State University hazelnut breeding program that have resistance to Eastern Filbert Blight (EFB). Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- The applicant must be a new or existing hazelnut grower in the province of British Columbia.
- The applicant must be the owner (or lessee) of the land to be planted. The owner (and in the case of leased property, both the owner and the lessee), must certify an intention to maintain the property as a commercial orchard operation for a period of at least 10 years from the date of replanting. Applicants with projects that are removed within that 10 year period may be required to repay funds received from the Hazelnut Renewal Program.
- The minimum eligible acreage for new planting new orchards in 2019/20 is one acre. If the project includes an expansion of an existing hazelnut orchard, then the total contiguous area of the existing and new orchard must be at least one acre. The intention of the program is to support renewal projects that are larger than one acre.
- The maximum eligible acreage for 2019/20 planting is 10 acres per farm operation.
- Approved applicants must plant EFB-resistant varieties, and must obtain planting stock according to the instructions of the CFIA Directive D-00-03.
For complete eligibility criteria, including a list of resistant EFB Hazelnut varieties, please consult the 2019/20 BC Hazelnut Renewal Program Requirements (PDF, 305 KB).
The B.C. Ministry of Agriculture will be accepting applications for the Hazelnut Renewal Program.
The application deadline is November 15, 2018. Applications will not be accepted after this date.
To apply for the program, please submit the following:
- A completed 2019/20 Project Application (PDF, 323 KB). Please ensure that you are applying as a taxable entity of your farm or orchard
- Confirmation of ownership/lease of the land
- A Renewal Plan (including orchard plot plan) signed by recognized horticulturalist or agrologist. The Renewal Plan is included in the 2019/20 Project Application (PDF, 323 KB).
- Confirmation of nursery tree order or copy of stock planting purchase- assurance that the plants will be available
- Recommended: Cash Flow Projection or Business plan over 5 years, and a marketing plan
Completed applications will be accepted by email until 11:59 pm November 15, 2018, and by mail, post-marked no later than November 15, 2018.
Please send mail applications to the following address:
Abbotsford Agriculture Centre
1767 Angus Campbell Road Abbotsford
BC V3G 2M3
ATTN: Hazelnut Renewal Program