Hazelnut Renewal Program
The Hazelnut Renewal Program provides funding to remove infected trees to mitigate the spread of Eastern Filbert Blight and to incentivize the planting of new disease-resistant hazelnut trees in British Columbia.
The Hazelnut Renewal Program application intake is now closed.
Types of program funding
- New Hazelnut Plantings (A): Funding to incentivize the planting of new Eastern Filbert Blight (EFB) resistant hazelnut trees in British Columbia.
- Removal of EFB Infected Hazelnut Trees (B): Funding to remove infected trees to mitigate the spread of EFB and protect new orchards.
For the purposes of this program, eligible hazelnut trees are defined as hazelnut varieties released by the Oregon State University hazelnut breeding program that have resistance to Eastern Filbert Blight (EFB). Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- The applicant must be a new or existing hazelnut grower in the province of British Columbia (A-B)
- The applicant must be the owner (or lessee) of the land to be planted (A-B)
- The minimum eligible acreage for new planting new orchards and removal projects in 2022/23 is one acre (A-B)
- The maximum eligible acreage for 2022/23 planting is 10 acres for double (maximum 269 trees/acre) or single density planting and 20 acres exclusively for single density planting (maximum 134 trees/acre) per farm operation (A)
- The maximum eligible acreage per applicant for removal of EFB infected hazelnut trees in 2022/23 is 10 acres (B)
- Approved applicants must plant EFB-resistant varieties, and must obtain planting stock according to the instructions of the CFIA Directive D-00-03 (A)
For complete eligibility criteria, including a list of resistant EFB Hazelnut varieties, please consult the 2022/23 BC Hazelnut Renewal Program Requirements (DOCX, 63 KB).
The ministry will be accepting applications for the Hazelnut Renewal Program.
The application deadline is September 30, 2022. Applications will not be accepted after this date.
To apply for the program, please submit the following:
- A completed 2022/23 Project Application:
- 2022-2023 Hazelnut Renewal Program Application Form New Planting (DOCX.739 KB)
- 2022-2023 Hazelnut Renewal program Application Form Removal (DOCX.734 KB)
- Please ensure that you are applying as a taxable entity of your farm or orchard
- Confirmation of ownership/lease of the land (A-B)
- Confirmation of nursery tree order or copy of stock planting purchase- assurance that the plants will be available (A)
- A cost estimate for contaminated orchard destruction by a recognized contractor.(B)
- A copy of the business licence of a recognized contractor. Contractor must have been in business for at least one year. (B)
- A burn permit issued by the local fire marshal. (B)
Completed applications can be submitted in two ways:
- By email no later than 4.30 p.m. Pacific Time September 30, 2022, to: AGRI.HazelnutRenewal@gov.bc.ca or
- By mail, arriving no later than 4.30 p.m. Pacific Time September 30, 2022, to:
ATTN: Hazelnut Renewal Program
Abbotsford Agriculture Centre
1767 Angus Campbell Road Abbotsford
BC V3G 2M3