Vancouver Island Local Planning Information
Tools, factsheets and resources for the Vancouver Island and Coast agricultural region on the following local planning topics:
Agriculture Area Plans and Strategies
An agricultural area plan or strategy focuses on a community's farm area. Its purpose is to discover practical solutions to issues and identify opportunities to strengthen farming.
- Alberni Valley Agricultural Plan (PDF)
- Campbell River Agriculture Plan (PDF)
- Central Saanich Agricultural Area Plan (PDF)
- Comox Valley Agricultural Plan (PDF)
- Cowichan Region Area Agricultural Plan (PDF)
- Denman Island Agriculture Strategy (PDF)
- Denman Island Farm Plan (PDF)
- North Cowichan Strategic Agricultural Plan (PDF)
- North Saanich Agriculture Economic Development Strategy (PDF)
- North Saanich Agriculture Plan (PDF)
- North Saanich Agricultural Strategy (PDF)
- Salt Spring Island Area Farm Plan (PDF)
- Powell River Economic Development Plan for Agriculture (PDF)
- Regional District of Nanaimo Agricultural Area Plan (PDF)
Agricultural Land Use Inventories
- Comox–Strathcona 2002 LUI report and map (PDF, 2 MB)
- Comox Valley Regional District 2013 LUI report (PDF, 3 MB) and map (PDF, 59 MB)
- North Saanich 2009 LUI report and map (PDF, 9 MB)
- Salt Spring Island 2006 LUI report and map (PDF, 3 MB)
The governments of Canada and British Columbia offers funding through the Local Government Agricultural Planning Program in support of projects that will lead to the development of agricultural area plans within municipalities and regional districts. The funding is administered through the Investment Agriculture Foundation.
The Strengthening Farming Program promotes strong working relationships between local and provincial governments and the farming community. Publications
The Agricultural Land Commission produces publications to encourage and enable farm business in B.C.
Regional Planning Support and Organizations
Agri-teams work with local government representatives and members of the farm community on agricultural planning and farm practice issues. Contact an Agri-team member.
Agricultural Advisory Committees
Agricultural Advisory Committees are groups of appointed local agricultural producers who help advise governments on policy, programs and regional issues.
- Alberni–Clayoquot Regional District
- Capital Regional District – Sustainable Agriculture
- Comox Valley Regional District
- Cowichan Valley Regional District
- Regional District of Mount Waddington
- Regional District of Nanaimo
- Powell River Regional District
- Strathcona Regional District
Addressing Farm Practice Concerns
The Farm Practices Protection (Right to Farm) Act creates a process to resolve the concerns of the public who have complaints about odour, noise, dust or other disturbances arising from a farm operation. If the complaint cannot be resolved informally, the British Columbia Farm Industry Review Board will determine if the odour, noise, dust or other disturbance results from a normal farm practice.