Omineca-Skeena - Soils
Tools, factsheets and resources for the Omineca–Skeena agricultural region on the following soil and nutrient topics:
Soil and Nutrient Management Resources
Factsheets and handbooks for soil management and nutrient amendment practices. Note: some information in these documents may not be applicable to all areas. Always refer to your own soil test results and local weather conditions.
Top Requested Documents for Omineca–Skeena
- Understanding Soil pH (PDF)
- Nitrogen Fertilization as Related to Soil pH (PDF)
- Managing Sulphur Deficiencies in B.C. (PDF)
- Liming Acid Soils in Central B.C. (PDF)
- Evaluation of Agricultural Limestone (PDF)
- Fertilizer Management for Canola in Central B.C. (PDF)
Soil and Nutrient Management
Learn more about soil and nutrient management
- Environmental Farm Management Planning Reference Guide (PDF) See chapter 6 for nutrients/soil amendments and chapter 8 for soil management.
- Soil management
- Nutrient management / soil amendment
Soil Testing Resources
Guides, contacts and tools for conducting soil tests and determining fertilizer recommendations. More information is available at Nutrient Management. To contact a soil scientist see “Useful Contacts” on the Nutrient Management page.
- Learn how to take a soil sample (PDF)
- Find a laboratory to analyze soil samples (PDF)
- Understanding Different Soil Test Methods (PDF)
For the Omineca–Skeena Region, convert soil test P and K values to “Kelowna method” equivalent values (conversions are based on Lower Mainland and Okanagan samples), use the spreadsheet below for conversion.
Find interpretations and fertilizer recommendations for soil test P and K values of the “Kelowna method”.
- Interpretations for Soil Test Phosphorus and Potassium: Guidelines for Southern British Columbia (PDF)
For all nutrients other than P and K, the most recent and comprehensive interpretations are in the following publication:
- Soil and Plant Tissue Testing Methods and Interpretations of Their Results for British Columbia Agricultural Soil (PDF)
Agricultural Capability Maps and Soil Surveys
- Click on “TEI Scanned Map Index” for the excel spreadsheet, sort by Capability-Agriculture under the Project Name column and scroll across to Column T for links to individual maps.
- Land Capability Classification Manual (PDF). Handbook for assessing and classifying agricultural soil capability.
Agriculture Canada Soil Surveys
For questions about these maps and data sets, contact Agriculture Canada.
- Prince George area
- Upper Fraser Valley
- Nechako–Francois Lake area
- Smithers–Hazelton area
- More Omineca–Skeena and B.C. soil maps and surveys
Agricultural Land Commission Maps
For questions about these maps or the Agricultural Land Reserve, contact the Agricultural Land Commission.