Omineca–Skeena Local Planning Information
Tools, factsheets and resources for the Omineca–Skeena agricultural region on the following local planning topics:
Agriculture Area Plans and Strategies
An agricultural area plan or strategy focuses on a community's farm area. Its purpose is to discover practical solutions to issues and identify opportunities to strengthen farming.
- Bulkley–Nechako Agriculture Plan (PDF)
- Greater Terrace Agricultural Area Plan (PDF)
- Haida Gwaii Agriculture Strategy (PDF)
Agricultural Land Use Inventories
- Inventories of agricultural land use and GIS mapping across B.C.
- Greater Terrace Region 2012 LUI report (PDF) and map (PDF)
- Smithers, Telkwa and Area "A" 2013 LUI report (PDF) and map (PDF)
The governments of Canada and British Columbia offers funding through the Local Government Agricultural Planning Program in support of projects that will lead to the development of agricultural area plans within municipalities and regional districts. The funding is administered through the Investment Agriculture Foundation.
The Strengthening Farming Program promotes strong working relationships between local and provincial governments and the farming community.
The Agricultural Land Commission produces publications to encourage and enable farm business in B.C.
Regional Planning Support and Organizations
Agri-teams work with local government representatives and members of the farm community on agricultural planning and farm practice issues.
- Regional District of Fraser–Fort George
- Regional District of Bulkley–Nechako
- Skeena–Queen Charlotte Regional District
- Regional District of Kitimat–Stikine
Addressing Farm Practice Concerns
The Farm Practices Protection (Right to Farm) Act creates a process to resolve the concerns of the public who have complaints about odour, noise, dust or other disturbances arising from a farm operation. If the complaint cannot be resolved informally, the British Columbia Farm Industry Review Board will determine if the odour, noise, dust or other disturbance results from a normal farm practice.