Organizations developing interfaces to the ministry's health information exchange systems meet all the requirements defined in with the British Columbia Professional and Software Conformance Standards (Conformance Standards).
The integration process and requirements are describe in Volume 1 (PDF, 822KB) of the Conformance Standards. Organizations must understand the commitment required to integrate with ministry health information exchange systems, including:
- Conformance Standards requirements (privacy and security, training development and delivery, system-specific, transport);
- Message specifications for each system being accessed;
- Agreement obligations;
- Connectivity requirements (network, configuration), process and costs;
- Time frame to integrate;
- Acceptable use policy for non-production environments;
- Conformance testing process;
- User/organization support model; and
- Audit and compliance checks.
The following diagram illustrates the process to develop an interface and integrate with a ministry health information exchange system. The timeline is an estimate and will vary depending on the organization's size and experience.
For an orientation to conformance and integration to health information exchange systems, read the following volumes:
- Volume 1 - Introduction and Conformance Processes (PDF, 822KB)
- Volume 2 - Information Privacy and Security (PDF, 649KB)
How to Get Started
- Download the full package of Conformance Standards.
- Subscribe to receive email notifications when the Conformance Standards are updated.
- Review the full set of Conformance Standards to ensure you can fulfill the requirements.
- Fill out the Vendor Application for Conformance and Integration Services (PDF, 520KB) form to initiate assistance from the ministry.
- Follow the integration processes outlined in Volume 1 of the Conformance Standards. For more information about connectivity, go to the access to environments page.
Medical Practice Applications
Applications used in medical practice settings must meet application hosting and connectivity requirements to be integrated with ministry health information exchange systems. Learn more about these medical practice application requirements.
Conformance Standards Support
Organizations in the process of designing or developing their application to comply with the Conformance Standards can request more information about the standards by emailing HLTH.CISSupport@gov.bc.ca.