Medications for Insomnia
Personalized education in 30-60 minutes either in-person or via web conferencing (e.g., Zoom or WebEx) at a time and location that is convenient for you. This Group Learning program has been certified by the College of Family Physicians of Canada and the British Columbia Chapter for up to 1.0 Mainpro+ credit.
Participants will be able to thoughtfully prescribe, monitor and manage the medications used for insomnia in their patients.
During the virtual academic detailing session, participants will have the opportunity to discuss:
- The strength of recommendations for and against specific medications for insomnia in contemporary clinical practice guidelines
- Prescribing principles applicable to medications for insomnia
- Drug information relevant to the prescribing, deprescribing and monitoring of medications for insomnia with a focus on the most commonly prescribed medications
After the virtual academic detailing session, participants will be able to:
- Share with patients that clinical practice guidelines make weak recommendations for and against specific medications, reflecting uncertainty regarding benefits versus harms.
- Apply prescribing principles including:
- Discussion of goals of therapy
- Medication review
- Attention to dose & drug interactions
- Communication of risk
- Review of ongoing use
- Describe the risks associated with prescribing higher than recommended doses of zopiclone.
When: Until November 1, 2023
Where: In-person or virtual academic detailing (individualized web or teleconference)
How: Contact your local PAD pharmacist directly or email email@example.com
- Handout - PAD Medications for Insomnia (PDF, 937KB)
- References - PAD Medications for Insomnia (PDF, 570KB)
For more information about the PAD service, visit the Provincial Academic Detailing page.