Assignment of Payment
Commencing May 1, 2018 responsibility for the complete Assignment of Payment (AOP) approval and processing for outpatient diagnostic facilities will move to Health Insurance BC (HIBC). See details below.
The assignment of payment (AOP) process links a practitioner to an approved facility for the purpose of billing British Columbia’s Medical Services Plan (MSP) for the provision of outpatient diagnostic services.
- May 1, 2018: Complete Assignment of Payment full approval and processing to move to Health Insurance BC
- Assignment of Payment
- Assignment of Payment Form
- Submitting AOP using Secure Upload Tool
May 1, 2018: Complete Assignment of Payment full approval and processing to move to Health Insurance BC
- AOP forms will continue to be submitted through the secure upload tool found on the Ministry of Health’s Diagnostic Services web pages. There is no change in how AOP forms are submitted. See URL listing below.
- The 90 day window for submitting claims following services has not changed.
- The suggested 30 day allowance for having an AOP form process has not changed.
- As of May 1, both the AOP form and related confirmation of practitioner credentialing (when required) MUST be uploaded/submitted at the same time. HIBC cannot process AOP forms that do not have all required information submitted with them and will contact the submitter to have them re-send the AOP and credentialing confirmation together.
Submitting AOP forms after May 1, 2018
- Continue to use AOP secure upload tool. There is NO CHANGE in how AOP forms are submitted. www.gov.bc.ca/assignmentofpaymentupload
HIBC will not
Communication with HIBC:
- For inquiries and communication with HIBC processing agents, (beginning May 1, 2018) - HIBC.AOP@gov.bc.ca. This email address can be used for communication, questions and general inquiries.
- NO ATTACHMENTS may be sent to HIBC.AOP@gov.bc.ca. HIBC is unable to open attachments due to privacy stipulations. All attachments must be sent through the Ministry of Health Secure Upload Tool.
- Reaching HIBC by telephone: Dial 1-866-456-6950
- hold for options to be presented; then select:
- Option 3 (provider services)
- Option 3 again (Assignment of Payment)
- Option 1 (AOP self-service confirmation) OR
- Option 2 (anything else) – this will ring through to an agent
- Option 3 again (Assignment of Payment)
AOP forms are legal documents and can only be processed for those facilities that hold a Certificate of Approval from the Advisory Committee on Diagnostic Facilities or the Medical Services Commission. When applying for a Certificate of Approval, facilities must provide a list of all medical practitioners who will perform and bill MSP for the services applied for, if the application is approved.
Once a facility is approved, AOP forms must be submitted for those physicians intending to bill MSP for provision of the approved outpatient services.
Certain diagnostic services or fee codes require additional physician credentialing* before they can be performed and billed to MSP. Completion of an AOP form is the responsibility of the practicing physician and the facility’s departmental Medical Director who must ensure all conditions (on an approval/Certificate of Approval) are met prior to submitting an AOP and/or billing MSP.
*Note: “credentialing” refers to the provincial standard established as a requirement to perform and bill a particular outpatient service or fee code. Physicians are required to verify compliance with such standards in order to bill for the corresponding service or fee code. Credentialing does not consider hospital/facility requirements for privileging or reappointment. Health authorities are responsible for credentialing any physician working within that organization (i.e., with privileges at a health authority facility). For physicians working fully outside the health authority system (e.g. employed solely at a community imaging clinic), credentialing is managed through the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia.
When designating MSP payments for your services to a privately-owned or publicly-owned facility, complete the Diagnostic Facility Services Assignment of Payment & Medical Director Authorization Form (HLTH 1908):
Use the Assignment of Payment Secure Upload Tool to submit your Diagnostic Facility Services Assignment of Payment form for Medical Services Plan payment of restricted diagnostic services.
Please ensure that your form is complete, accurate, and authorized prior to submitting. Only complete Assignment of Payment Forms will be processed. Any related credentialing confirmation MUST be submitted with the completed and authorized AOP form, or the form cannot be processed.