PharmaNet is the provincial drug information and claims processing system that links all community pharmacies in British Columbia. It contains every prescription dispensed in B.C. community pharmacies. PharmaNet helps pharmacists and other health professionals identify and warn patients about potentially harmful medication interactions, unintended duplications, and risks from the misuse of prescription drugs.
Authorized users with a point of service application integrated with PharmaNet can:
- submit prescription dispense and claim information;
- access patient medication histories and store them in their local application;
- update patient medication histories with over-the-counter medications, dispensed samples, clinical conditions and adverse drug reactions;
- generate drug monographs for professional information and patient counselling;
- perform drug use evaluations to identify possible drug interactions; and
- monitor patient medication adherence by verifying the status of a prescription.
The PharmaNet standards are developed and managed by the B.C. Ministry of Health.