Basic dental, eyeglasses and hearing care
Through the Healthy Kids Program, children of low-income families can get help with the costs of:
- Basic dental care
- Prescription eyewear
- Hearing instruments
- Alternative hearing assistance
The Healthy Kids Program is an income-tested program. Your children are eligible for the Healthy Kids Program if:
- Your family is eligible for Medical Services Plan (MSP) supplementary benefits
- They are under 19 years old
To access MSP supplementary benefits, you must:
- Apply for MSP supplementary benefits with Health Insurance BC (HIBC)
- File your taxes each year with Canada Revenue Agency
- Update your MSP account if you have any changes in your family (adding or removing a spouse or child)
HIBC will verify your income each year to determine ongoing eligibility for supplementary benefits and the Healthy Kids Program. Your family must have an annual adjusted net income of $42,000 or less to be eligible for these benefits.
To access the Healthy Kids coverage, show your child’s CareCard or BC Services Card when you arrive at the dental, optical or audiology office. Confirm coverage before the appointment with the provider and ask if there will be any extra charges that are not covered.
Children are eligible for up to a maximum of $2,000 towards basic dental services every two years. This includes:
Emergency treatment is available if your child has reached the $2,000 limit. It is only available for the immediate relief of pain.
Orthodontics are not included. Ask your dentist for more information.
Children are eligible for prescription glasses once a year. This includes lenses and basic frames. MSP covers eye examinations for children.
Contact lenses are not included. All prescriptions must be current and meet certain criteria. Ask your optical provider for more information.
Children are eligible for:
- Hearing aids
- Bone anchored hearing aids
- Cochlear implants
- Related items
Your audiologist or hearing instrument provider will assess the best option for your child. They then must send in their recommendations for preauthorization. If approved, coverage provides the least expensive, appropriate hearing instrument.
You may be able to get an alternative hearing assistance supplement if your child:
- Has permanent profound hearing loss in both ears
- Won't benefit from a hearing instrument to understand speech
Call 1-866-866-0800 for more information.