Medical Benefits for Children and Teens with Complex Health Needs
The At Home Program provides a range of medical items, equipment and services for eligible children and teens who would otherwise need to stay in the hospital if they didn't have them. This includes things like:
- Medical equipment
- Bio-medical equipment
- Orthotics and splints
- Audiology equipment and supplies
- Medical supplies
- School-aged extended therapies
- Dental/orthodontic and optical benefits
- Medical transportation
- Medical services plan coverage
PharmaCare: Children in the At Home Program for medical benefits also are covered by PharmaCare (Plan F) for things like:
- Prescription medications prescribed by a physician and approved by PharmaCare
- Orthotics and prosthetics
- Needles and syringes for insulin-dependent diabetics
- Blood glucose testing strips for individuals with a certificate of training from a recognized diabetic training centre
Get information about PharmaCare coverage:
Incontinence supplies: Some funding is available to help with the cost of diapers, pull-ups, liners and wipes for children who are three years of age and older. Pre-approval is required. Parents or guardians can request this funding by:
- Having a health care professional complete a Request for Medical Supplies Form (PDF)
- Requesting an Incontinence Supplies Direct Funding application package from the calling the Medical Benefits Branch and returning it once it's completed
Contact the Medical Services Branch
- 1-888-613-3232 (Toll free)
- 250 387-9649 (Victoria)
Once the application is approved, parents can purchase incontinence supplies directly from any company they choose. Direct funding payments are given to families every three months, based on the child's age and weight. The first payment will be provided approximately six weeks after the completed application package is received and approved.
Parents or guardians must:
- Keep receipts for incontinence supplies for three years and provide them on request
- Provide an updated Request for Medical Supplies form on request (to confirm the child's continued need for incontinence supplies)
- Return unused funds (make cheques payable to the Minister of Finance)
Direct Deposit is a safe and dependable way to receive payments. Using this method, your payments will be deposited directly into your bank account and help you to avoid delays and lost or stolen cheques.
Request Medical Supplies
Most of these benefits require pre-approval and are paid for directly by us or are available through our product distribution centre. Parents and caregivers may be reimbursed for eligible medical transportation and certain medical supply costs that may temporarily not be available through the distribution centre.
Regular dental and medical expenses and transportation costs are not covered - the appointment, trip or medical expense must be directly related to your child's disability.
Medical benefits come to an end on the last day of the month of your child's 18th birthday. People with disabilities, 18 years of age or older, may qualify for financial and supplementary health assistance for persons with a disability (PWD).
Delivery: After a request for medical supplies has been approved, supplies can be ordered monthly. Contact the Product Distribution Centre by calling:
- 1 877 927-2234 (Toll free)
- 604 927-2910 (Lower Mainland)
Guidelines & Portal for Service Providers
Use these guidelines when requesting medical items or services for children and teens with special needs. Use the portal to get access to self-service options related to the service they provide.
- Service Provider Portal
Guidelines for Service Providers
- Biomedical equipment (PDF)
- Medical equipment (PDF)
- Audiology equipment and supplies (PDF)
- Cochlear implant supplies (PDF)
- School-aged extended therapies (PDF)
- Therapists assistants (PDF)
- Glossary of Orthotic Devices (PDF)
Contact us if you have questions about medical benefits for children and teens with severe disabilities. We’ll help you find out if you're eligible and explain what kinds of medical benefits you can get.
- Toll-free: 1-888- 613-3232