Mental Health and Substance Use Assisted Living

People with mental health or substance use problems who can live semi-independently may seek to live in a supportive environment where they can receive services for their problem. For people seeking assistance with a substance use problem, such an environment may be known as a supportive recovery home.  In order to live in a mental health or substance use (MHSU) assisted living residence, a person must be 19 or over and be able to make the range of decisions that allow them to live safely in a supportive, semi-independent environment.

Considering MHSU Assisted Living

Assisted living is a regulated health service and there is important information to take into consideration before a person decides to move to assisted living accommodation. A person needs to know what the expectations are for residing in assisted living accommodation and what services and supports are included.

Finding an MHSU Assisted Living Residence

Residences offering assisted living services and supports must register and maintain their registration with the assisted living registry. Here you will find a current listing of all MHSU assisted living residences across the province of B.C. by community.

Living in an MHSU Assisted Living Residence

Because assisted living is a regulated service, there are specific requirements that must be met not only at the time of a person entering assisted living but throughout their residency.

Operating an MHSU Assisted Living Residence

People considering opening a MHSU assisted living residence must comply with several levels of government, pieces of legislation and the standards and administrative policies of the assisted living registry. Here you will find details about applying to register, expectations of operators and how to maintain registration.