Designing Great Services
What does it mean to design great services?
A great service is reliable, timely, easy-to-use, and meets their needs. It offers self-service backed by the confidence of assistance and expertise when needed.
For Frontline Staff
It means having the processes, autonomy and support to do their work both efficiently and effectively, to make a real difference in people’s lives.
For Management & Executives
It achieves policy outcomes while being sustainable and using budgets and other resources responsibly.
The five principles that guide our approach in the B.C. public service:
1. Start with the experience and needs of citizens
2. Design with people, not just for them
3. Develop visual and tangible artifacts for shared understanding
4. Move between big picture and detail, and back again
5. Address the entire service architecture — from policy to front-line delivery