Who is your audience?
Knowing who cares about your project helps you reach those who want to be involved. Plan for your audience to include different interests and opinions. Your audience is both people and organizations: how will you reach them?
What motivations do they have to engage with you? An opportunity to help government improve is not enough. People choose to engage when the topic aligns with their own personal interests, such as:
- They have an interest in the topic.
- It affects their lives.
- They have a story to share.
- They have skills or technical knowledge.
- They want to be part of something meaningful that is bigger than themselves.
Some questions to help define your audience:
- Who are the people who care about this issue? Think beyond the people or groups you hear from regularly.
- What is their perspective?
- Have you engaged with them before? On what? How? What did you learn?
- How do you think your audience prefers to be engaged?
- Who are your champions? Who can help you promote your project?
Your GCPE Communications Shop will build a communication plan for your project. This includes the planning and timeline for using media, advertising and social media. It will also identify any events, news releases and media related to your project, such as:
- If there will be an event to launch the engagement.
- A News Release announcing the engagement.
- If/when there will be any media by the minister.