Exercise nine: changing verbs from passive to active
Sentences written in the passive voice tend to be longer and it is less clear who is performing the action.
Passive: The pole was struck by lightning.
Active: Lightning struck the pole.
Try converting the following sentences from passive to active voice:
- The effects of an opioid overdose can be reversed by Naloxone.
- Today in a speech to the Union of BC Municipalities, a new program was announced by the premier.
- The citizens of B.C. are served by B.C.’s elected leaders and public servants.
- One type of air pollution is caused by hydrocarbons.
- The dividends of a strong and diversified economy and prudent fiscal management are delivered by British Columbia’s fifth-consecutive balanced budget.
- It was decided by the court that the contract was unconstitutional.
- The kayak was invented by Indigenous people for transportation and fishing.
- The original trusses and the repair were designed by the same registered professional.
- The tax applies even if the insurance was purchased by a non-resident on your behalf.
- Today’s blog was written by staff working on elder abuse prevention.
When you're done, continue to Exercise Nine Takeaways