Plain Language Exercise One Takeaways
If you gave up on reading the first paragraph and just moved on to the next one, you are not alone. Giving up is a common reaction when we come across text that is dense and hard to read.
Both text samples are about determining who needs to have a criminal record check performed.
Notes on Text Sample 1:
- Message is buried in a long and confusing run-on sentence
- Even if part of the sentence applies to you, it is hard to figure out what to do
- You might ignore the information altogether or contact a government representative for clarification.
Notes on Text Sample 2:
- A little shorter (55 vs. 66 words)
- Conveys the same information much more clearly
- Easy to scan, skip over the parts that don’t apply
- Helps the reader focus on the parts that are relevant