Effective interviewing helps you produce great content.
Writers & SMEs
Writers interview and write. Subject matter experts (SMEs) inform, respond and review.
What makes sense to the expert may not be clear to a general audience. Writers help experts clearly express concepts.
- An expert in procurement might not be the best person to write about procurement. But a writer who interviews a procurement expert, and who writes professionally, can be
Make sure you’ve considered your audience.
When interviewing a SME, ask
- Who is the audience? Who owns, approves and maintains the content?
- What problem does this content solve? What service is it about?
- Where is the audience? Where can the services be found? Where should it be published?
- When should this content appear? When will it be reviewed or removed? When should someone act? (See content lifecycle)
- Why does this content need to exist?
- How does this help British Columbians?