Letter 8-4: Refusal to Confirm or Deny Existence of a Record
- use this letter to "neither confirm nor deny" the existence of a record
Applicant’s name and address
Re: Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act Request for Information
Dear [applicant’s name]:
I am writing about your request of [date] for access to information.
We are unable to confirm or deny the existence of the record(s) you have requested.
Under section 52 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, you may ask the Information and Privacy Commissioner to review the decision to neither confirm nor deny the existence of the records that you requested. You have 30 days after receiving this notice to ask for a review by writing to:
Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner
3rd Floor, 756 Fort Street
Victoria, British Columbia V8W 1H2
Tel. (250) 387-5629 Fax (250) 387-1696
If you wish to request a review, please provide the Commissioner’s office with:
- Your name, address and telephone number;
- The request number assigned to your request (the “reference number” quoted at the top of this letter);
- The type of request that you made to the public body, i.e., access, correction, fee complaint, time limit complaint, etc., or a copy of the request;
- A copy of the [name of public body]’s decision; and
- The reasons or grounds upon which you are requesting the review.
If you have any questions about this decision, please write or call me at (250) [telephone number], prior to initiating a formal review process with the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner. You may be transferred to this number free of charge by calling Service BC at (604) 660-2421 in Vancouver or at 1-800-663-7867 outside Victoria and Vancouver.
Information and Privacy