IM/IT Capital Investment Management Framework
While ministries are responsible for the execution and management of their DMCPSI-approved IM/IT projects (phases depicted in grey below), the IM/IT Capital Investment Branch has overall governance responsibility for IM/IT capital investments. This includes:
- development of planning and prioritization criteria;
- assessing strategic alignment;
- reviewing and prioritizing projects;
- recommending projects to DMCPSI;
- financial management of the overall IM/IT capital investment envelope; and
- monitoring, evaluation and quality assurance of projects to verify the benefits of.
The following diagram depicts at a high level, the lifecycle process of a typical IM/IT capital investment, and the IM/IT Capital Investment Branch’s involvement in various phases, from initiation to close out:
In addition to the general processes for management of IM/IT investments, Major IM/IT projects (greater than $10M per annum, or $20M in total), must be approved by Treasury Board and follow the processes outlined in the documents below.