Procurement transformation has a cross-government impact on how government acquires goods and services from the marketplace. The Ministry of Citizens’ Services is leading the modernization of overall purchasing processes in partnership with ministries across government .
Procurement is an important tool to deliver government services and maximize value to citizens. The new British Columbia Procurement Strategy is the result of extensive consultation with businesses and ministries, reflecting the input of people who want better access to opportunities and government staff who work in the area of procurement. With over $6 billion spent annually on goods and services, this new strategy will make it easier for companies to do business with government and create more opportunity for organizations of all sizes
- Enable better access to procurement opportunities for small, medium and large businesses;
- Make it easier for companies to do business with government;
- Provide best value and increased benefit for people by promoting innovation and improving social, Indigenous and environmental outcomes; and
- Enhance procurement capacity within government.
The strategy puts British Columbians first, taking full advantage of government’s buying power to create more opportunities for B.C. businesses and improve the lives of people throughout the province.
2018/19 priority actions
In partnership with ministries across government, below is a sample of the projects to be implemented under the strategy
Goal 1: Best value and increased social benefit to British Columbians
- Develop a Community Benefits Framework
- Develop a coordinated government approach to Indigenous procurement
- Publish new social and environmental impact purchasing guidelines
Goal 2: Easier to do business with government
- Launch a next generation BC Bid application and services
- Modernize, reduce and simplify procurement policy
- Review B.C.’s approach to risk allocation
Goal 3: More opportunity for businesses of all sizes
- Deploy a new analysis process for large strategic contracts
- Initiate Sprint with Us
- Increase government-market engagement and support for suppliers
Goal 4: Greater capacity to support procurement
- Establish a cross-government procurement governance body
- Develop an HR and training plan for procurement professionals
- Enhance procurement oversight and compliance system
Please contact Procurement Transformation to provide feedback on the strategy or to learn more about procurement modernization.