Clean Water and Wastewater Fund
Canada and British Columbia launched the Clean Water and Wastewater Fund (Fund) in September 2016.
The Fund will help accelerate short-term local government investments, while supporting the rehabilitation of water, wastewater and stormwater infrastructure, and the planning and design of future facilities and upgrades to existing systems.
Canada and British Columbia governments are investing up to $373.6 million under the Fund to support infrastructure projects in communities across the province. The Government of Canada will contribute $225.1 million and the Province of British Columbia will contribute $148.5 million to the total program funds.
The Fund offers funding up to a maximum of 83% of the total eligible project costs, with 50% contributed by the Government of Canada and 33% by the Province of British Columbia..
UPDATE: The Clean Water and Wastewater Fund is fully allocated and no longer accepting applications.
The application intake for the Fund closed on November 23, 2016.
See Application Instructions & Tips (PDF, 384 KB) for more details.
The Fund will primarily focus investments on meeting immediate priorities for clean water and wastewater to support a cleaner and healthier environment for communities. These include:
- the rehabilitation and optimization of water, wastewater and stormwater-related infrastructure;
- separation of existing combined sewers and/or combined sewer overflow control;
- improvement of asset management approaches including studies and pilot projects;
- planning for future upgrades to wastewater treatment and collection infrastructure to meet applicable regulatory requirements; and,
- new construction projects, including the construction of naturalized systems for management and treatment of wastewater and stormwater may also be considered if they can be completed within the program time-frame.
On September 28, 2016 British Columbia’s commitment of $148.5 million in provincial funding to the program was confirmed. On September 30, 2016 (PDF, 78 KB) Canada and British Columbia signed the bilateral agreement and launched the Clean Water and Wastewater Fund. Thirty-five local government projects (PDF, 60 KB) were approved concurrently with the launch and an additional 144 projects were announced on March 17, 2017 (PDF, 407 KB). A total of 179 projects have been approved under CWWF (PDF, 614 KB) between September 2016 and March 2017.