Change Your Name, Address or Gender

As a B.C. resident you are required to keep your personal information current.

There are a few life events that could require an update to your personal information – getting married or divorced, legally changing your name, moving, or changing your gender.


  1. Change your name on your BC Services Card by contacting Health Insurance BC first.
    Lower Mainland: 604 683-7151
    Elsewhere in B.C.: 1 800 663-7100
  2. Once you receive your confirmation letter in the mail, complete your name change by visiting an ICBC driver licensing office.

If you also need to change your name on your BC driver’s licence, BC identification card (BCID), enhanced driver’s licence (EDL), or enhanced ID (EIC), visit for more information.


You can update your address online for your BC Services Card and your B.C. driver’s licence.

If your BC Services Card has a photo, you will receive an updated address sticker to attach to your card.

If you have an EDL, a B.C. identification card (BCID) or an enhanced ID (EIC), you cannot update your address online ‒ you must contact ICBC directly. 


B.C. is the first jurisdiction in Canada to revise its legislation to remove the requirement for surgery in order for an individual to change their gender designation on their birth certificate.

Amendments to the Vital Statistics Act replace the previous requirement with a new process that allows citizens to change their gender designation on their government-issued identification to reflect their identified gender.

Also, an integrated gender policy between the BC Services Card program, ICBC driver licensing and BCID programs, the Medical Services Plan, and the Vital Statistics Agency updates identity-related services to enable citizens to change their gender designation on B.C. identity documents including: Birth Certificate, Driver’s Licence, BCID, Medical Services Plan client record, and BC Services Card.

You may apply to change your gender designation on your BC Services Card, driver’s licence, EDL, BCID or EIC. Gender is listed as “Sex” on all these cards, as well as your birth certificate. 

If you are planning to change your gender designation on your birth certificate, do that first. The BC Vital Statistics Agency website has information on how to update your B.C. birth certificate.

A copy of an updated birth certificate may be submitted directly to Health Insurance BC and ICBC to change your gender on your BC Services Card. An updated birth certificate may also be presented directly to ICBC to change your driver’s licence, EDL, BCID or EIC.  If you are not updating your birth certificate, you can submit a completed Application for Change of Gender Designation (Adult) or Application for Change of Gender Designation (Minor), along with the supporting documentation listed on these application forms first to Health Insurance BC and then to ICBC.

  1. Update your birth certificate.
  2. Submit a COPY of your updated birth certificate or your application and supporting documentation to Health Insurance BC.
  3. Go to an ICBC driver licensing office with your updated birth certificate or your application and supporting documentation.

If you attended an ICBC driver licensing office before you contacted Health Insurance BC, you will need to submit a copy of your application or updated birth certificate to Health Insurance BC to complete the process of updating your BC Services Card.

Minor Applicants

Minors (under 19 years of age) can apply to change their gender designation, with the consent of ALL parents and/or guardians.

However, you may be able to request a waiver of parental consent if:

  • You have a court’s decision severing guardianship.
  • You have a youth agreement from the Ministry of Children and Family Development.
  • You are married and can provide a marriage certificate.
  • You are a parent and have evidence of custody of your children.
  • Your parents and/or guardians are deceased or cannot consent due to a mental disorder.
  • You have one or more parents and/or guardians that cannot be located after a reasonable search.

The waiver request may be submitted with the Application for Change of Gender Designation (Minor), along with the other supporting documents requested on the application.

Forms and Instructions

Download and print the forms you need:

Order by phone by calling Health Insurance BC toll-free at 1 800 663-7100 or 604 683-7151 (Lower Mainland) to request to have the forms mailed to you.

Mail completed forms and supporting documentation to: 
Health Insurance BC
PO Box 9035 Stn Prov Govt,
Victoria BC, V8W 9E3

* The licence of the physician or psychologist must either be in English or the application must include an English translation completed by an ICBC-approved translator. The translation must include the following: Physician/Psychologist name; Profession; Registration/practitioner’s licence number. Visit ICBC’s website for the approved translator list:  Or, if you prefer, you can have a BC Physician or Psychologist complete the Confirmation of Change of Gender Designation form.