B.C. Knowledge Development Fund
Established in 1998, the B.C. Knowledge Development Fund (BCKDF) is the government’s primary capital investment in support of research infrastructure in B.C. The BCKDF provides funding for public post-secondary institutions, research hospitals and affiliated non-profit agencies.
The BCKDF is pivotal to the development of vital research infrastructure, allowing institutions to attract a critical mass of researchers, skilled technicians, and research users.
With state-of-the-art equipment and infrastructure, B.C. institutions can generate favourable conditions for innovation and are well positioned to create successful collaborations with industry.
Please refer to the BCKDF Guidelines for further information on the B.C. strategic research priorities and for details about the application and review process.
BCKDF shares project funding with other funding partners. Typically:
- The BCKDF funds up to 40 percent of total eligible project costs;
- The Canada Foundation for Innovation funds up to 40 percent of total eligible project costs; and
- Other funding partners (e.g., private partners, research institutions) provide cash or in-kind funding for the 20 percent remaining of the total eligible project costs.
Note that only eligible institutions — and not individual researchers — may submit a proposal to the BCKDF. To apply to BCKDF, researchers must first contact their research services office.
- BCKDF Guidelines (DOC) - Updated August 2017
- BCKDF Deadlines for 2017 (DOC) - Updated August 2017
- BCKDF Webinar Extract (DOC) - Updated September 2017
- BCKDF Application Form – Step 1 (DOC) - Updated August 2017 (fillable Word document)
- BCKDF Signature Page - Step 1 (DOC) - Updated August 2017 (template)
- BCKDF Application Form - Step 2 (XLSX) - Updated August 2017 (fillable Excel form)
- BCKDF Signature Page - Step 2 (DOC) - Updated August 2017 (template)