Helping people with disabilities become more financially independent through initiatives such as the Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP).
B.C. has the highest savings rate for persons with disabilities in Canada by 2024.
How We Measure Success
Maintain B.C.’s position as the province with the highest per capita number of Registered Disability Savings Plans.
- Access RDSP, a four-year project partnership offering Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) supports and services
- Developed strategies and tools to grow RDSP uptake and increase financial security for persons with disabilities and their families through the Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) Action Group. More than 22,500 people in BC now have RDSPs—the highest per capita in Canada
- Declared October as RDSP Awareness Month with events around the province to help raise awareness among people with disabilities, their families and friends about the benefits of RDSPs as a tool to save for the future
- Through the RDSP Action Group, released a step-by-step guide on How to Start and Manage a Registered Disability Savings Plan in B.C., available in PDF (1.3MB), Word document, Audio and e-text, and American Sign Language
- Working on a project to repeal the Court Order Enforcement Act and replace it with legislation based upon draft legislation prepared by the Uniform Law Conference of Canada and revised by the British Columbia Law Institute
- Launched a toll-free Registered Disability Savings Plan number (1 844-311-PLAN) to help improve financial literacy for people with disabilities
- PLAN released an updated edition of Safe and Secure: 2014 Expanded RDSP Edition
- Celebrating one year of assisting people with disabilities with simple income tax filings and information/referrals through Disability Alliance BC’s Tax Assistance and Information for People with Disabilities (Tax AID DABC)
- Vancouver Foundation expanded eligibility for Endowment 150 to include more children with disabilities in low-income families, proving one-time gifts of $150 to RDSPs to help people save
- Created an RDSP Action Group
Read more about what we've done over the last year in the Year Two Progress Update.