Temporary & Permanent Care Options for Kids and Teens in B.C.

When a child or teen is unable to live with their parents, it's best if they can live with someone they know like:

  • A family member – a grandparent, aunt or uncle or an older sibling
  • Someone who has an established relationship or cultural connection to the child and their family

This is called out-of-care or kinship placement – it's primary goals are always to:

  • Reunite the child with their parents wherever possible
  • Put the child or teen at the center of all decisions, which includes considering their views about decisions that affect them

Find out about these care options: