COVID-19 Support for Youth and Young Adults

Get the services and support you need as a youth or young adult during COVID-19.

Last updated: September 23, 2021

On this page:

If you get sick

If you think you are sick with COVID-19:

If you test positive for COVID-19 as an MCFD-involved youth or young adult you must report it to your social worker and call Provincial Centralized Screening at 1-800-663-9122.

The best source for COVID-19 health information is the BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC).

MCFD program changes

For youth in foster care, out-of-care placements and contracted residential agencies, you can keep staying where you're living past your 19th birthday until March 31, 2022.

For youth on Independent Living Agreements and Youth Agreements, you will receive monthly living expenses past your 19th birthday until March 31, 2022.

The Agreements with Youth Adults (AYA) program is offering a Temporary Life Skills option:

  • Runs until March 31, 2022
  • Expanded program eligibility, decreased required hours of participation
  • Includes cultural programs, cultural healing, wellness

The hourly requirement for mental health and rehabilitation programs under AYA is now five hours per week (reduced). This will remain in place until March 31, 2022.

Get support

Loss of employment

Employment Insurance (EI) changes are in effect until September 27, 2021.

  • If you received the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, the 52-week period to accumulate insured hours will be extended
  • A minimum of $500 per week before taxes will be issued but you could receive more
  • Only 120 insured hours needed to qualify for EI benefits

For those not eligible for EI, the following federal benefits may be available:

Paying your bills

If you were an ICBC customer between October 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021, you will receive a rebate based on a portion of what you paid for coverage during that period.

If you're a BC Hydro customer, you can apply to the BC Hydro Customer Crisis Fund for a grant payment to avoid disconnection. The fund is available to residential customers and only for a primary residence.

  • The total amount owing needs to be less than $1,000
  • Grants are available up to $600 ($500 if the home isn't heated by electricity)
  • The grant can be applied for once per year and the grant doesn't need to be repaid

Cellphones and internet

You might be eligible for the TELUS Mobility for Good program, which provides a free smartphone, data, and an unlimited Canada wide text & talk plan.

  • To be eligible, you must be aged 19 to 26 and have been in the care of MCFD or a DAA, on a Youth Agreement as of your 19th birthday, or are eligible for the Agreements for Young Adults Program


Crisis line BC:

  • Online chat for youth (noon to 1 am)

Helpline for Children & Youth:

Kids Help Phone:

Foundry offices are supporting youth and young adults during COVID-19.