Foster Caregivers, Out of Care Providers & Specialized Homes and Support Services (formerly CRAs) – MCFD Response to COVID-19
If a child, youth, caregiver or contractor involved with the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) becomes ill with COVID-19, please report it to Provincial Centralized Screening at 1-800-663-9122
If you are a foster caregiver, out of care provider or contracted residential agency you can find many of the resources that MCFD has shared to date.
Last Updated: August 10, 2021
On this page:
MCFD Practice Guidelines
Interim Practice Guidelines During COVID-19, including resource policies for Resource Workers and a matrix for what core processes should be done virtually or in person.
If you get sick with COVID-19
Practice and procedures for when foster parents, contracted residential agencies and out of care providers become sick or if someone in their home becomes sick with COVID-19.
- CRA Protocol for Suspected COVID-19 Case
- Caregiver Protocol for Suspected COVID-19 Case
- Caregiver Protocol for Suspected COVID-19 Case for Children and Youth in Care
Connections between children, youth and their and families
Direction for Guardianship and Resources Workers on scaling up in-person connections between Children and Youth in Care and their families.
Conducting virtual home studies
Information about how Adoption and Resource Workers can conduct SAFE (Structured Analysis Family Evaluation) assessments during physical distancing restrictions.
Supports for youth aging out of care
Information on the Youth COVID-19 Emergency Response providing ongoing supports for youth who are aging out of care or youth who will be aging out of an out-of-care living arrangement who wish to stay in their current home.
Child and Family Services Subsector
Step-by-step instructions for using Skype to connect children and youth in care with their families through virtual visits.
Information on liability insurance for foster caregivers, Contracted Residential Agencies and community service partners.
Guidelines and expectations for Social Service Providers for what to do if a client or staff member has COVID-19 symptoms.
- April 23, 2020 - Letter to Caregivers Re: Temporary Increase to Canada Child Benefit
- March 13, 2020 - Letter to Foster Parents
- March 13, 2020 - Letter to Caregivers (Out of Care Providers)
- March 13, 2020 - Letter to Contracted Residential Agencies
- March 13, 2020 - Letter to Service Provider Partners
- March 16, COVID-19 Spring Holiday Planning FAQ
- Dec 22, In person Connections FAQ - Children and Youth In Care with Their Families Over the Holidays