Start a registered licence-not-required child care program or day care

Registered licence-not-required child care providers are unlicensed but have registered with a Child Care Resource and Referral Centre. To become a registered licence-not-required provider, operators must have completed:

  • Criminal record checks (for everyone over age 12 living in the home)
  • Character references
  • A home safety assessment
  • First aid training
  • Child care training courses or workshops

Registered care providers also have access to support, training, resources and group liability insurance.

Here are a few things to consider before starting your child care business.

Make an appointment with the Child Care Resource and Referral Centre in your area. They can give you information and resources to help you with the registration process.

To take care of children as a registered licence-not-required child care provider, you need to be a responsible adult (19 years of age or older) who is able to provide care and mature guidance to children.

You will also need to have 20 hours of child care-related training, relevant work experience and a valid first aid certificate.

This step will cost money and take a bit of time – be sure to complete it early on in the process.

Contact your municipality to see if you need to get a business licence. You can also ask about zoning bylaws, building and safety requirements, and fire inspections.

Be prepared to pay money for your business licence and plan enough time for approval from the municipality.

British Columbia’s Cannabis Control and Licensing Act (CCLA) came into force October 17, 2018. What does this mean for child care providers in B.C.?

The CCLA authorizes adults to grow up to four cannabis plants per household. However, cultivation of cannabis for any use is prohibited in households that operate as licensed child care facilities (section 56 and 58). To align with this new legislation, Registered Licence Not Required (RLNR) providers are also prohibited from cultivating cannabis in dwellings used as child care, as stated in Child Care Resource and Referral Centre registration guidelines.

As always, any concerns related to the health, safety, and well-being of children should be reported to the appropriate agency:

We hope you take the time to thoroughly familiarize yourself with the new legislation. For more information on the new cannabis laws and regulations, please visit If you have any further questions, please contact BC Cannabis Legalization and Regulation Secretariat directly at