Start-Up Grants For the Creation of Licensed Family and In-Home Multi-Age Child Care
The Province is seeking applications from eligible individuals interested in creating new licensed Family and In-Home Multi-Age Child Care spaces in B.C. communities.
As of June 20, 2018, one-time Start-Up Grants will be available to help eligible unlicensed child care providers – whether Registered Licence-Not-Required (RLNR) or Licence-Not-Required (LNR) – to become licensed child care facilities under the Community Care and Assisted Living Act. Start-up grants will be subject to availability of dollars within the budget, set at $750,000 per year over the next three years.
By becoming licensed, parents are provided with an added degree of security in the quality and safety of their child care, and providers are eligible for Child Care Operating Funding (CCOF) and the new Child Care Fee Reduction Initiative, as well as higher funding rates under both the existing Child Care Subsidy Program and the new Affordable Child Care Benefit Program, which will be introduced in September 2018.
Who Can Apply
You can apply if you fall into any of the following categories:
- Proponents who wish to begin operating a Licensed Family Child Care or In-Home Multi-Age Child Care facility,
- Existing Registered Licence-Not-Required (RLNR) or Licence-Not-Required (LNR) Child Care Operators;
- Early Childhood Educators (ECEs) who are in good standing with the Early Childhood Educator Registry (if you hold a valid ECE certificate);
- RLNR child care providers in good standing with their local Child Care Resource and Referral (CCRR) office (if applicable).
- Are in good standing with the Ministry of Children and Family Development; and
- Are in good standing with BC Corporate Registry (if applicable)
How to Apply
Step 1: Review the Licensed Start-Up Grant Funding Guidelines (PDF).
Step 2: Review the following information:
- Community Care and Assisted Living Act
- How to Open a Licensed Child Day Care
- Rules for Operating a Licensed Child Day Care
Step 3: Complete the Start-Up Grant application (PDF).
When to Apply
While there is no deadline for applications, the budget for the program is set at $750,000 per year for the next three years. Individuals who are interested in the program are encouraged to apply as soon as possible to ensure their applications can be properly considered.
PDF Form Instructions
- The application form must be saved and viewed via Adobe Reader. Most computers default the PDF viewer in the web browser rather than Adobe Reader.
- To ensure proper use:
- Save the form to your own system and then open it in Adobe Reader before beginning to fill out the form.
- Right click on the link within the Browser and select “Save Target As…”. Ensure you have the most up to date version of Adobe Reader.
- Please note: if using Google Chrome or Safari, follow these instructions:
- Click the “Download” icon (highlighted in red below) and save to your desktop.
- Navigate to where file was downloaded and right click to open it with “Adobe Reader” or “System Viewer.” This will open the form in Adobe.