Open a Licensed Child Day Care

Are you thinking about opening a child day care facility and wondering where to start? Your local Health Authority Community Care Facility Licensing program can answer questions and help you get started. Licensing programs provide application packages and often hold information sessions about opening a licensed child day care facility.  

Application Process

The Child Care Licensing Regulation describes basic health, safety and care requirements for licensed child day care facilities. Schedule B of the regulation provides information about what is required to apply to  open a child day care such as a detailed description of the program to be offered, the proposed number of employees, their qualifications and duties, a building and property site plan, the building floor plan, projected monthly budget, references and criminal record checks.  Please talk with your local Licensing Officer before making any financial or other commitments. 

The application process will also include:

  • an inspection of the proposed facility site,
  • a review of the policies and procedures; and
  • an assessment to make sure you will be a good care provider.

There is no cost for the licensing application process and receiving a licence, however there may be some associated costs, such as cost recovery for information packages, criminal record checks, first aid certification, city/town municipal business licence etc.

Each Health Authority Community Care Facility Licensing program processes applications and issues the licence to operate a child day care facility.  They can also assist you with information about where to go for city/town municipal business licence, zoning and bylaw questions and fire safety inspections. 

Ongoing Requirements

Once you have a licence, you need to follow the rules to keep the licence in good standing. Following the rules is an ongoing activity that begins with understanding the Community Care and Assisted Living Act, the Child Care Licensing Regulation and Standards of Practice. You must follow the rules and requirements outlined in the Act, Regulation and Standard of Practice at all times.

Licensing Officers carry out licensing activities on behalf of the medical health officer. They conduct facility inspections and respond to complaints. Each facility is unique and is monitored and assessed on an individual basis. Through inspection, discussion and risk analysis of facility plans and programs the Licensing Officer assesses whether the needs of the children in care and requirements are being met.

You should work closely with your Licensing Officers to make sure you understand what is expected. Licensing Officers are available to discuss issues, make site visits, provide education and help licensees understand what needs to be done and why.

Who to Contact: 

Fraser Health Authority

Central Intake:  604.587.3936 

Abbostford: 604.870.6000

Burnaby: 604.918.7683

Chilliwack: 604.702.4950

Delta: 604.507.5478

Tricities: 604.949.7700

(Port Coquitlam, Coquitlam, Port Moody)

Surrey/Whiterock: 604.930.5405


Island Health Authority

Campbell River: 250.850.2110

Courtenay: 250.331.8620

Nanaimo: 250.739.5800

Victoria: 250.519.3401

Interior Health Authority

Licensing Direct: 1-877-980-5118 

Cranbrook: 250.420.2220

Kamloops: 250.851.7340

Kelowna: 1-877-980-5118

Nelson: 250.505.7200

Penticton: 250.770.5540

Salmon Arm: 250.833.4100


Williams Lake: 250.302.5000


Northern Health Authority

Dawson Creek: 250.719.6500

Fort St. John: 250.263.6000

Prince George & Smithers: 250.565.2150 

Terrace: 250.631.4222

Vancouver Coastal Health 

Powell River: 604.485.3310

Richmond: 604.233.3147

Sechelt: 604.885.5164

Squamish: 604.892.2293

Vancouver: 604.983.6700

West Vancouver: 604.675.3800