Childcare BC New Spaces Fund: Create New Spaces
The Childcare BC New Spaces Fund (formerly called the Child Care Major Capital Funding Program) is helping to fund the creation of 22,000 new child care spaces in B.C. over the next three years.
Funding is available for care providers to create affordable licensed child care spaces in the following categories:
- Infant and toddler (under 36 months)
- Group 3-5 (30 months to school age)
- School age (kindergarten to age 12)
Priority will be given to applications that support priority areas, including:
- New licensed infant-toddler spaces
- Vulnerable and underserved communities
- Projects undertaken by public-sector organizations
- Child care services outside of core business hours
- Up to $1 million per facility for public-sector organizations directly operating a child care or partnering with non-profit child care providers. (Public sector partners can be public sector organizations, local/municipal governments, school boards, public and post-secondary institutions, band/tribal councils and or First Nations governments.
- Up to $500,000 per facility for Indigenous organizations, child development centres, and non-profit child care providers
- Up to $250,000 per facility for private child care providers
Local and municipal governments interested in creating new child care spaces on local government property can also check out the Community Child Care Space Creation Program.
Check with the Local Health Authority
Make sure the proposed project or facility changes will meet the requirements of the Child Care Licensing Regulation. Contact your regional health authority Community Care Facility Licensing Office for more information.
There is no deadline to apply. Funding will be provided based on availability during the fiscal year. Develop your application at your own pace and apply when you're ready.
Review detailed requirements related to eligibility and the assessment process:
- Childcare BC New Spaces Fund Guidelines (PDF)
- Childcare BC New Spaces Fund Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
Forms for Funded Projects
If your application is successful, you'll be asked to fill out the following forms at different points during your project.
- Quarterly Project Status Template (PDF)
- Financial Expenditure Report (PDF)
- Financial Reconciliation Report (PDF)
- Eligible and Ineligible Project Costs Sample List (PDF)