Childcare BC New Spaces Fund: Create New Spaces
The Childcare BC New Spaces Fund is helping to fund the creation of 22,000 licensed child care spaces throughout British Columbia. Funding is available to support the creation, expansion and relocation of child care facilities proposing to create new licensed child care spaces in the following categories:
- Group Child Care (Under 36 Months);
- Group Child Care (30 Months to School Age);
- Group Child Care (School Age);
- Multi-Age Child Care;
- Family; and
- In-Home Multi-Age Child Care
New for 2019/20
The 2019/20 Childcare BC New Spaces Fund guidelines have been updated to ensure the program better supports the Province’s objective to create quality, accessible, and affordable licensed child care spaces.
Key changes include:
The following applicants are eligible to apply:
- Public sector organizations, including local governments, school boards, health authorities and public post-secondary institutions
- Indigenous Governments
- Non-profit societies, including non-profit child care providers, child development centres, and Indigenous non-profit societies
- Businesses and Corporate companies, including partnerships, sole proprietors, limited companies and incorporated companies
Please review the Funding Guidelines for a complete list of the eligibility requirements.
Per project, eligible applicants can receive up to:
- $3 million for up to 100% of project costs for public sector organizations and Indigenous Governments
- $1.5 million for up to 100% of project costs for Indigenous non-profit societies
- $1.5 million for up to 90% of project costs for non-profit societies, including non-profit child care providers and child development centres
- $250,000 for up to 75% of project costs for child care providers that are businesses or corporate companies
Organizations that receive funding through the Childcare BC New Spaces Fund are required to:
- Offer and provide services to families eligible for the Affordable Child Care Benefit;
- Ensure services are accessible to children who require extra support and establish policies to support inclusion;
- Reconcile the funding once the project is complete; and
- Actively participate in the Child Care Operating Funding (CCOF) program and enroll in the Child Care Fee Reduction Initiative (CCFRI) for a minimum of one CCOF term once the spaces become operational.
Step 1: Review the following:
- Childcare BC New Spaces Fund Funding Guidelines
- Frequently Asked Questions
- The Application Resource
- The Child Care Licensing Regulation
- The Community Care and Assisted Living Act
- The Rules for Operating a Licensed Child Care Facility
Step 2: Contact your regional Health Authority to ensure the proposed project or facility changes will meet the requirements of the Child Care Licensing Regulation.
Step 3: Prepare the required documentation (refer to Table 2 in the Funding Guidelines).
Step 4: Complete the application form, available online, and ensure all sections are complete.
Step 5: Submit the application with the mandatory supporting documents by email to MCF.CCCF@gov.bc.ca
Step 6: The Province will screen submitted applications for administrative deficiencies.
Step 7: Applicants will be provided with an opportunity to address any administrative deficiencies during a rectification period.
Step 8: The Province will evaluate applications and select proponents to enter into a Funding Agreement with the Province.
Step 9: At the time of project completion, funding recipients must submit a reconciliation report and apply to participate in the Child Care Operating Funding (CCOF) program and enroll in the Child Care Fee Reduction Initiative (CCFRI), where eligible.
While there is no deadline for applications, the Childcare BC New Spaces Fund is subject to the availability of funding within the budget. You are encouraged to develop your application at your own pace and apply when you are ready.
If you need assistance with your application, Partnership and Engagement Managers are available to provide guidance and recommendations to support you with your submission. To reach them, please call 1-888-338-6622 – option 5.
Complete the application form