Child Care Health and Safety Grant
The Child Care Health and Safety Grants were one-time payments to help Child Care Operating Funding (CCOF) and Universal Child Care Prototype Site providers operate as many licensed child care spaces as possible and offset the additional costs associated with operating safely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Applications for HSG 2020 and 2021 are now closed.
Last updated: October 25, 2021
On this page:
The Health and Safety Grants are in addition to, and do not replace, any other funding provided by Childcare BC. This grant allows child care providers to:
- Maintain safe operation of as many of their available licensed, child care spaces as possible while adhering to current Provincial Health Orders as well as recommendations detailed in the Public Health Guidance for Child Care Settings.
- Offset operational costs associated with providing child care services throughout recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic (e.g. staffing backfill, cleaning supplies, etc.).
Providers have until March 31, 2022 to spend their HSG 2021 funding. Providers who receive funds under HSG 2021, and undergo a sale or incorporation on or before April 1, 2022, will be required to use their entire HSG or return the unspent portion prior to the facility changing hands.
In the event a facility closes on or before March 31, 2022, aside from routine or emergency closures, the Ministry will review to determine if all or a portion of the grant is repayable.
Funding eligible under the HSG 2021 is specifically applied to:
Health and Safety Supplies
- Personal Protective Equipment - face masks, face shields and gloves.
- Personal Hygiene Items - hand soap, hand sanitizer, hand towels.
- Cleaning supplies – brooms, mops, detergents, bleach, or other disinfectants.
- Sleeping supplies including bedding, cots and cribs or sleeping mats.
- Some large and small appliances: washers/dryers, dishwashers, vacuum cleaners, air purifiers, ceiling fans.
- Outdoor equipment such as tents, awnings, umbrellas or strollers.
- Some costs related to minor facility renovations such as adding sinks or hand washing stations, items to support increased physical distancing during drop-off or pick-up.
- Some costs related to major facility renovations such as adding an HVAC system, renovating spaces to allow for increased physical distancing during drop- off or pick-up.
- Organization tools: bins for storing children’s items separately, hooks, cubbies.
- Increasing staffing complement including staff hours for additional cleaning.
- Backfilling temporary sick leaves.
- Wages to cover leave taken by existing front-line* staff to obtain a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Temporary wage enhancements for front-line Early Childhood Educators (ECE).
- Professional development for front-line ECE staff
- Other non-monetary compensation for front-line ECE staff such as tokens of appreciation, payment to attend professional learning, improvements to employee benefits.
External Professional Services
- Hiring contracted cleaners.
- Laundering services.
- Carpet cleaning.
- Maintenance on ventilation and air conditioning systems.
Paying off debt incurred during the pandemic
- Purchases made prior to HSG to comply with PHO guidelines that are still owing, for example playground equipment to facilitate outdoor play.
Temporary Relief Measures to Support Families
- Reduced child care fees.
- Costs related to some enhanced services such as extending the hours of operation to support local demand (for example, by hiring additional temporary staff).
* Front-line staff are defined as staff who spend 50 per cent or more of their working hours providing direct care to children at the facility, with the remaining hours performing child care related duties.
Additional expenses not listed above, may be approved at the Ministry’s discretion.
The 2021 HSG can only be used for items listed in the eligible expense categories. All other expenses are ineligible, including:
- Routine operational expenses such as routine rent, lease or mortgage payments.
- Regular program items or materials (books, toys) or surplus/stockpiling supplies.
- Wages or benefits for staff who do not work in a front-line capacity.
Applications for HSG 2020 are no longer being accepted. Providers in receipt of 2020 funding were required to complete a HSG 2020 Spending Report by June 30, 2021.
Contact the Child Care Operating Funding Program at 1-888-338-6622 (Option 2) to discuss repayment options.