Make Changes to a Waste Authorization

For information related to amending, or cancelling an authorization, or changing information.


Making Amendments

Permits, approvals and Operational Certificates must be amended when there are changes to:

  • Authorized works
  • Quantity and quality of the discharge
  • Monitoring and reporting requirements
  • Other terms and conditions
  • The name on the authorization or transfers of the authorization to a new owner

Permit amendments (except those for name and address changes and transfers) follow the Routine Application Process. Major permit amendments will follow the Routine Application Process, and include requirements similar to that of new permit applications. Minor amendments (defined in Section 1(2) of the Public Notification Regulation) also follow the Routine Application Process, but may not require the same amount of consultation or publication. Application fees are not refundable.

Name and Ownership Changes

Name and Ownership Changes and Address Changes are managed as Express Transactions.

Ownership Change

If the name of a business, person or company changes, or the business, facility or operation has been sold to another entity, the original owner must request a change to their authorization by amending their authorization. The following must be provided to change ownership:

  1. An amendment request is sent to
  2. Written documentation by the potential new authorization holder indicating they will assume responsibility for the authorization. 
  3. New security, if required as a condition of the authorization.

Ownership Change with Current Name Continuing

If a company purchases a business, facility or operation that has a current authorization, and continues to operate under the existing name, and there is no change to legal address, the existing authorization remains unchanged. There is no amendment to the authorization.

However, any administrative information (such as contact information or billing information), is required to update to the Ministry data bases. This can be done in writing, by submitting the update to

Note: this is an information update, not an amendment to an authorization.

Name and/or Address Change without a Change in Ownership

If a company changes the name of their business, facility or operation, or moves their facility to a new location, the owner must amend their authorization. 

Send an amendment request to


Making Changes or Updates

If information supporting a registration changes after the original submission, clients must provide the updated information to the ministry within defined timelines. See each specific regulation on the Guidance, Forms & Fees page for the exact timeline, however, generally the period is 30 days.

Registrations are not transferable from one owner to another, unless allowed by a specific regulation (e.g. Municipal Wastewater Regulation).

To update Registration information for:

  1. Ownership Change of a Registered Facility with New Name
  • When new ownership of a registered site occurs:
    • The previous owner must request cancellation of the registration using the cancellation request form.
    • The new owner must submit a new registration application, these are organized by regulation on the Guidance, Forms & Fees page.
  • The requests must be submitted to:
  • Generally registrations are not transferable. A new registration is needed by the new owner to discharge waste.
  1. Purchase of a New Facility which requires Registration

‚ÄčIf a new person or company has purchased an existing business, facility or operation with or without a previously existing registration, the new owner must apply for a new registration. Forms to apply for a new registration are found on the Guidance, Forms and Fees page and are organized by regulation. The new owner must meet all the registration requirements including providing security where required.

Generally, registrations are not transferable. The exception is registration under the Municipal Waste Water Regulation which is transferable with permission from a Statutory Decision Maker.

  1. Ownership Change with Same Name

If the business, facility or operation, including the current business name, has been sold to another entity but continues to operate under the existing name, a new registration or registration update may not be necessary as long as no other changes to the registration occur (i.e. this includes no changes to billing information, mailing addresses, or contact information, etc.).

  1. Facility Registration Information Changes

‚ÄčIf information related to an existing registration changes, the registration information must be updated. The process for updating the registration is regulation dependent. In most cases, the registration information must be updated by submitting an new registration form indicating the change. The registration forms are organized by regulation on the Guidance, Forms and Fees page.

Any updates to the facility that affects the discharge points, emissions to the environment, or type of pollution control works may require a registration update. To do so, submit a new registration form indicating that there has been a change in information related to the discharge. Some regulations specify time periods when changes must be reported to ensure compliance with the regulation. In most cases, there is no cost to update information.


Cancel a Permit, Approval or Operational Certificate

Removing a specific discharge point from an authorization is completed through a permit amendment process. However, where a complete authorization is no longer needed and the facility no longer discharges any waste to the environment, the authorization holder may choose to cancel an authorization. Note that fees for the privilege of discharging continue to apply as long as the authorization is active. To cancel a permit, approval or operational certificate:

  • Submit a completed cancellation request form to the Ministry at
  • Along with the request, include documentation to show that the discharge has stopped, and show there is no further risk to the environment or public health.
  • In some cases, implementing a closure plan is necessary, and Ministry staff may inspect the site. Clean-up, remediation, and monitoring of the site may be necessary to prevent long term impacts to the environment and to comply with all legal requirements. Other agencies and local bylaws may have additional requirements.
  • After an authorization has been cancelled, the client must apply for a new authorization prior to resuming a discharge to the environment.
  • Note: a Statutory Decision Maker (SDM) may refuse a cancellation request

Cancel a Registration

When permission to discharge under a regulation or code of practice is no longer needed and the site is registered under regulation, the owner must request cancellation of the registration in writing.

  • Cancellation of a registration can be done by completing a cancellation request form, and submitting the request to
  • Clean-up remediation and monitoring of the site and facility may be necessary to prevent long term impacts to the environment and to comply with all legal requirements
  • Other agencies and local bylaws may require the proponent to fulfill additional requirements


A permit or approval can be suspended for a period of time at the request of the owner of a facility or by a Statutory Decision Maker (SDM) by submitting the cancellation request form. During the suspension period, most of the requirements of the permit or approval are suspended and the facility is not allowed to discharge waste. Permit fees continue to be applied to the authorization during the suspension period.

Suspension of a registration can be done by completing a cancellation request form, and submitting the request to


Clients who abandon their permit or approval lose any rights granted by the authorization, and are released from any terms and conditions. A client will need to complete the cancellation request form to abandon their permit. The client will need to reference the permit number, location, the date the abandonment is anticipated, and reason for abandonment.

Generally permits that have authorized solid waste disposal or landfills in the past are abandoned rather than cancelled because of ongoing monitoring to ensure adequate environmental protection.

Clients may abandon a permit or approval in writing to a Statutory Decision Maker (SDM). An SDM may either:

  1. cancel the permit, or
  2. impose additional conditions to protect the environment or public health

After a permit has been abandoned, the client must apply for a new permit before resuming a discharge to the environment.