Product Stewardship Related Resources
Guides & Tools
- Producers Paying the Cost of Managing Obligated Materials and Dispute Resolution Guide 2018 (PDF)
- Stewardship Plan Submission Checklist 2016 (PDF)
- Recycling Regulation Guide 2012 (PDF)
- Recycling Regulation Overview, updated August 2013 (PDF)
- Recycling Regulation Video
- Brian Grant Award
- Overview of Stewardship and Extended Producer Responsibility Job and Economic Impact Studies 2008-2012 (PDF)
- Who Pays What - An Analysis of Beverage Container Recovery and Costs in Canada 2010 (PDF 4.26 MB)
- Design for Environment (DfE) Best Practices Lessons for British Columbia’s Ministry of Environment 2008 (PDF)
- Economic Impacts of the B.C. Recycling Regulation 2008 (PDF, 2.5 MB)
Between October, 2011, and February, 2012, the Province consulted with stakeholders and the public on key aspects of the beverage container product category of the Recycling Regulation. Based on the findings of the final report, it was decided there was insufficient justification to further investigate changing the province’s beverage container retail return, refill/recycling or deposit-refund requirements at this time.
- Stakeholder Review of Prescriptive Measures in the Beverage Container Regulation: March 2012 (PDF)
Online survey of 1,200 British Columbians to measure consumer awareness of Extended Producer Responsibility Programs in B.C. The questions sought awareness of the programs, as well as to educate the consumer of these programs and how to access recycling information.
- 2015 Consumer Awareness Survey of Industry Led Product Stewardship Programs in B.C. (PDF)
- 2009 Consumer Awareness Survey of Industry Led Product Stewardship Programs in B.C. (PDF)
Studies to undertake an assessment of the economic and environmental benefits that can be attributed to the implementation of Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) programs in B.C. The assessments examined the implications of EPR program performance for B.C.’s economy, environment and contribution to broader regional and global environmental issues.
- 2014 Assessment of Economic and Environmental Impacts of EPR Programs in B.C. (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- 2011 Assessment of Economic and Environmental Impacts of EPR Programs in B.C. (PDF, 1.9 MB)
Jurisdictional review of performance monitoring practices for Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) programs and potential approaches for EPR programs in B.C. The recommendations in the report will be used to help inform discussions to address known challenges and complexities associated with EPR performance monitoring in B.C.
In 2016, the Province commissioned the following study to review regulatory and institutional best practices for administering competition in Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) programs; assessing the risks and benefits associated with competition at various levels of the same product category for greater economic efficiency. The study was conducted in two phases. After reviewing the findings of the study the Province has been incorporating aspects in administration and policy work highlighted by the study pertinent to EPR programs in B.C.