Packaging and Printed Paper Recycling
In 2011, the Province amended the Recycling Regulation to make businesses supplying packaging and printed paper responsible for collecting and recycling their products.
This was done to shift recycling costs from B.C. taxpayers to producers, and to give producers more incentive to be environmentally friendly by producing less packaging and waste.
Information for British Columbians
- Information for B.C. residents (PDF)
- Small Producer Definition Policy Interpretation (PDF)
- Decision Regarding StewardChoice Enterprises Inc. Submission (PDF) - January 13, 2016
- News Bulletin Regarding Recycling Regulation Change & Exemptions - May 2014
- As of May 2014, Multi-Material BC (MMBC) received an approved stewardship plan for the collection and recycling of packaging and printed paper in B.C. In April 2017, MMBC became Recycle BC.
- As of July 2016, Brewer’s Recycling Container Council received ministry approval for its stewardship plan for beer related packaging and printed paper in B.C.
- As of Oct 2017, News Media Canada received ministry approval for its stewardship plan for newspapers in B.C.