Packaging and Printed Paper
In 2011, the Province amended the Recycling Regulation to make businesses supplying packaging and printed paper responsible for collecting and recycling their products.
This was done to shift recycling costs from B.C. taxpayers to producers, and to give producers more incentive to be environmentally friendly by producing less packaging and waste.
Information for British Columbians
- Information for B.C. residents (PDF)
- Information for B.C. businesses
- Small Producer Definition Policy Interpretation (PDF)
- Statutory Decision Maker (SDM) Decision Regarding StewardChoice Enterprises Inc. Submission - January 13, 2016 (PDF)
As of May 2014, Multi-Material BC (MMBC) received an approved stewardship plan for the collection and recycling of packaging and printed paper in B.C.
In April 2017, MMBC became Recycle BC.
As of July 2016, Brewer’s Recycling Container Council received ministry approval for its stewardship plan for beer related packaging and printed paper in B.C.
As of Oct 2017, News Media Canada received ministry approval for its stewardship plan for newspapers in B.C.
- October 2017 - Ministry Stewardship Plan approval letter (PDF)
- September 2017 - Ministry Stewardship Plan News Media Canada (PDF)
- December 2016 - Ministry Stewardship Plan Amendment Approval (PDF)
- November 2016 - Multi-Material BC Packaging and Printed Paper Stewardship Plan - Amended (PDF, 1MB)
- July 2016 - Ministry Stewardship Plan Approval - Schedule 5 (PDF)
- May 2016 - Brewers Recycling Container Collection Council Stewardship Plan - Schedule 5 (PDF)
- April 2013 - Ministry Stewardship Plan Approval (PDF)
- April 2013 - Multi-Material BC Packaging and Printed Paper Stewardship Plan (PDF, 1.12 MB)