You must have a pesticide licence to:
- Sell pesticides (domestic, commercial or restricted)
- Apply pesticides as a service or business
- Use pesticides on a non-service basis (for example, you apply pesticides as part of your business on land that you own or manage)
The ministry recognizes that we are facing rapidly changing situations as we cope with the effects of COVID-19 in our province. Everyone in B.C. must follow the orders and directives issued by the provincial health officer to protect public health and it is recognized it could have impacts on the day-to-day operations of regulated activities under the Integrated Pest Management Act.
Authorization requirements remain in effect and it is expected that all reasonable measures should be taken to comply. Now is a good time to carefully review requirements and develop plans and contingencies to ensure operations are maintained in accordance with requirements for the foreseeable future. If an authorization holder encounters a non-compliance issue, the Ministry asks you to provide notice via email@example.com identifying compliance issues, rationale, and mitigative measures being taken. The Ministry will take into consideration the consequences of PHO directives and guidance in addressing non-compliances.
The ministry currently has staffing resources in place to maintain all core business functions. All electronic mailboxes and normal communication channels remain open and are being monitored regularly. Authorization holders should contact the ministry through all the usual channels. Please note that all meetings will be handled by phone or online.
- For more information regarding pesticide authorizations, licensing, certification, and guidance for industry pesticide users, please visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/pesticides-pest-management
- For more information on reporting a spill, please visit https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/air-land-water/spills-environmental-emergencies/report-a-spill
- For inquiries related to compliance, please contact the RAPP line.
A pesticide applicator certificate is a mandatory requirement for receiving a pesticide licence.
Pesticide use may not proceed until a pest management plan (PMP) has been prepared and confirmed by the Ministry of Environment.
Follow-up notice to the Ministry is also required just before the first use of pesticide – at least 21 days before.
Licence & Certificate Conditions for the Use of Fumigant Gases
To ensure that fumigations are performed safely, according to pesticide labels and current standards, conditions are placed on fumigation certificates and pesticide licences.