Pesticide Certificate Categories
Pesticide certification and training for applicators and dispensers must be in the appropriate category. There is a separate study kit and exam for each category.
Categories of Pesticide Certification and Training
- Aerial: Apply pesticides from helicopters or fixed-wing aircraft to manage mosquitoes, vegetation along rights-of-way and pests associated with agricultural or forestry production.
- Agriculture: Manage pests associated with agricultural production of field, orchard, nursery and greenhouse crops. This category is for custom applicators, private growers or farm workers. A separate agriculture category is available for application of strychnine bait used to control gopher populations.
- Assistant Applicator: Apply pesticides to treatment areas under the supervision of a certified pesticide applicator, safely transport pesticides to work sites, take pesticides in and out of storage, and ensure security of mobile, temporary and permanent pesticide storage facilities.
- Forestry: Manage weeds, insects and diseases in forestry production, including weed control on forest rangeland. Subcategories are available for non-broadcast applications, seed cone orchards and seedling nurseries.
- Fumigation: Certification for using fumigants to treat soil, ships, containers and structures or for using carbon dioxide to treat grain or flour.
- Industrial Vegetation Management: Manage weeds on industrial land, roads, power lines, railways and pipeline right-of-ways including control of noxious weeds on private or public land.
- Landscape (commercial): Manage insects, diseases and weeds of gardens, ornamental plantings and turf.
- Mosquito Management: Manage mosquito and biting flies. Subcategories are available for aerial application of granular bacterial pesticides and for ground application of bacterial pesticides and growth regulators.
- Pesticide Dispenser: Certificates for people who work in pesticide retail sales outlets and who sell commercial pesticides.
- Residents (private, non-commercial use only): Apply most pesticides on private landscapes, including lawns, flower beds, ornamental trees and plants.
- Structural: Manage the control of pests in, near or on a structure. A separate category is available for managing pests in wood structures.