Managing Authorizations & Compliance During COVID-19
Last updated: April 24, 2020
Orders and directives issued by the Provincial Health Officer (PHO) to protect public health could impact the day-to-day operations of activities regulated under the Environmental Management Act.
Authorization requirements remain in effect. It is expected that all reasonable measures should be taken to comply.
Now is a good time to carefully review your requirements and develop plans and contingencies to ensure operations are maintained in accordance with requirements for the foreseeable future.
If an authorization holder is unable to meet authorization requirements due to orders, directives, or guidance by the PHO, notify the ministry by email EnvironmentalCompliance@gov.bc.ca and identify:
- The compliance issues
- Rationale that clearly states how the compliance issues are related to COVID-19
- Mitigative measures being taken
The ministry will take into consideration PHO orders, directives, and guidance when addressing non-compliances.
Connecting with the Ministry
Regional Operations Branch has staffing resources in place to maintain all core business functions.
- All electronic mailboxes and normal communication channels remain open and are being monitored regularly
- Authorization holders should contact the ministry through all the usual channels
The ministry is prioritizing responses to any events or notifications which have the potential to impact human health, the environment, or relate to the maintenance of essential services.
- If an authorization holder is not able to meet the requirements of their authorization, they should follow the procedures defined in the authorization or use the compliance notification process stated above
- Please note that all meetings will be handled by phone or online
Resources & Contacts
- To make changes to your authorization, please visit Waste Discharge Authorizations
- For more information on environmental reporting, including routine environmental reporting and non-compliance reporting, please visit Submit Reports for Waste Authorization
- For more information on reporting a spill, please visit Report a Spill
- For other inquiries related to compliance, please contact the ministry compliance section at EnvironmentalCompliance@gov.bc.ca