Environmental Assessment Revitalization Advisory Committees
Over the course of revitalizing B.C.'s Environmental Assessment process, the EAO convened three committees composed of a variety of experts in environmental assessment to provide independent advice on legislation, regulations and policies.
The Environmental Assessment Advisory Committee was an independent forum that reviewed and made recommendations (PDF) on B.C.'s Environmental Assessment Act (2002) for the purpose of identifying key areas of improvement for the new Environmental Assessment Act.
The Committee was co-chaired by Bruce Fraser, an ecologist by training and past chair of both the Forest Practices Board and the Taskforce on Species at Risk; and Lydia Hwitsum, former Chief of the Cowichan Tribes and Chair of the First Nations Health Authority board of directors. The Committee was comprised of a further 10 members from local government, industry, environmental non-governmental organizations, environmental law, impact assessors and planners, and provided an independent analysis of B.C.'s current environmental assessment process as well as opportunities for improvement.
Additional details on the Committee members can be found in the attached backgrounder at the end of this news release.
The Committee met ten times (over 75 hours) between March and April, 2018 and produced a report with 33 recommendations that seek to be workable for all parties in the EA process.
The Indigenous Implementation Committee (IIC) was formed in June 2019 to:
- Collaborate with the Environmental Assessment Office (EAO) on the implementation of the new Environmental Assessment Act (the Act)
- Provide technical advice on the development of regulations and policies related to the Act
- Help ensure that the Act contributes to reconciliation and aligns with the Draft 10 Principles
The IIC provided technical advice to the EAO on matters related to the development of regulations and key supporting policies to inform the EAO’s understanding of best practices and commenting on options and drafts of key documents prior to their release publicly including in relation to:
- Opportunities to develop a government-to-government (G2G) agreement with the Province to tailor the EA process to be compatible with an individual Indigenous nations’ approach to governance;
- Providing adequate funding to ensure meaningful Indigenous nation participation;
- Inviting Indigenous nations to self-identify to participate in the EA process Opportunities to identify how interests of Indigenous nations can be best addressed in a consensus seeking process with the EAO;
- Ensuring that Indigenous Knowledge is applied to decision-making;
- Building consensus with Indigenous nations throughout the EA process;
- Seeking consensus at key points throughout the process in support of the principle of free, prior, and informed consent; and
- Incorporating dispute resolution to support resolution of disputes consistent with Indigenous approaches to governance.
The Committee was co-chaired by the EAO, Bob Chamberlain and Ang Smith and was comprised of 14 committee members with relevant professional and personal expertise and experience representing a broad range of interests related to the EA process and regions of the province. Committee members provided their personal perspectives and experiences within an environmental assessment context, and did not represent the position or opinions of any Indigenous nation or organization to which they may belong.
|Scott Bailey (EAO)||Co-Chair|
|Bob Chamberlain||Co-Chair (1st half)|
|Ang Smith||Co-Chair (2nd half)|
|Nalaine Morin||Committee Member|
|Sunny LeBourdais||Committee Member|
|Anna Usborne||Committee Member|
|Bruce Muir||Committee Member|
|John Risdale - Chief Na'Moks||Committee Member|
|Verna Power||Committee Member|
|Nicole Kapell||Committee Member|
|Angel Ransom||Committee Member|
|Chief Maureen Chapman||Committee Member|
|Jackie Thomas||Committee Member|
|Melanie Walker||Committee Member|
|Dave Nordquist||Committee Member|
Regional representatives were invited to self-nominate for the Committee - for more information, please click here.
The Committee was formed to provide feedback and advise on the development of policies and regulations. The Committee was chaired by the EAO and was comprised of 19 representatives from a diverse selection of experienced environmental assessment (EA) participants to ensure a broad representation of perspectives on policies and regulations. Membership represented a cross section of industry, environmental NGOs, EA practitioners, local government, labour and former members of the Environmental Assessment Advisory Committee.
|EAO representative||Environmental Assessment Office||Chair|
|Meera Bawa||Mining Association of BC||Committee Member|
|Rob Stevens||Association for Mineral Exploration of BC||Committee Member|
|Kai Horsfield||Canadian Energy Pipeline Association||Committee Member|
|Geoff Morrison||Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers||Committee Member|
|Matt Kennedy||Clean Energy BC||Committee Member|
|Denise Mullen||Business Council of BC||Committee Member|
|Gavin Smith||West Coast Environmental Law||Committee Member|
|Hannah Askew||Sierra Club||Committee Member|
|Scott Lunny||United Steelworkers||Committee Member|
|Carmen Holschuh||Jacobs||Committee Member|
|Bob Bocking||LGL Limited||Committee Member|
|Ward Prystay||Stantec||Committee Member|
|Kevin Hanna||Prior Environmental Assessment Advisory Committee Member||Committee Member|
|Marla Orenstein||Prior Environmental Assessment Advisory Committee Member||Committee Member|
|Karen Campbell||Prior Environmental Assessment Advisory Committee Member||Committee Member|
|Greg Knox||Skeena Wild||Committee Member|
|Ron Poole||District of Kitimat Stikine||Committee Member|
|Karen Elliott||Municipality of Squamish||Committee Member|
- April 3, 2019 - Stakeholder Implementation Committee Meeting Summary (PDF)
- May 14, 2019 - Stakeholder Implementation Committee Meeting Summary (PDF)
- May 29, 2019 - Stakeholder Implementation Committee Meeting Summary (PDF)
- June 12, 2019 - Stakeholder Implementation Committee Meeting Summary (PDF)
- June 26, 2019 - Stakeholder Implementation Committee Meeting Summary (PDF)
- July 11, 2019 - Stakeholder Implementation Committee Meeting Summary (PDF)
- September 18, 2019 - Stakeholder Implementation Committee Meeting Summary (PDF)
- October 2, 2019 - Stakeholder Implementation Committee Meeting Summary (PDF)
- October 17, 2019 - Stakeholder Implementation Committee Meeting Summary (PDF)
- November 14, 2019 - Stakeholder Implementation Committee Meeting Summary (DOC)
- December 11, 2019 - Stakeholder Implementation Committee Meeting Summary (PDF)